Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 350 sbc water pump advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MikeG5211, May 31, 2020.

1. MikeG5211

MikeG5211

Getting new engine on monday figure might as well get a new water pump since mine has seen better days by the look of it.

Any recommendations on one I can pick up on amazon for ~30 bucks or a local parts store? I need short neck and I believe clockwise rotation if its being driven directly off the crank pulley correct? Not having much luck searching on my own many of them don't say rotation or if they're long/short, Thanks.

mitch 36 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

if you get a pump for something 1968 or older, it will be short, and clockwise rotation.

3. I may be treading dangerously, my new pump is a shortie since my set up is between a '65 and '68 Impala. Got it off eBay delivered in 2 days for $17.95, free shipping and is the Cardone brand. So far so good, but recommend something a little better to anyone else.

4. MikeG5211

MikeG5211

I picked up a GMB one off amazon for 30 bucks, thing got here damn near faster than if I had gone out and picked one up myself. Thanks as always.

5. Spend a few extra bucks,and get a new Airtex pump.Lifetime replacement.....if you keep the receipt.

6. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

There are different “short” pumps. Check to see what you have before ordering a replacement.

A 68-70 “Corvette” pump is “short” and has the heater hose on the side, 9 o’clock position. Other pumps have the heater hose exit on top, 12 o’clock.

On the 68-70 pump, the shaft diameter is 3/4”. 71 and up, the shaft is 5/8” diameter, and 3/16” longer than the earlier pump.

If you want your pulleys to fit, and line up, check your pump shaft diameter first.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

MikeG5211 likes this.