Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 348 powered 40 Ford sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by neilswheels, Jul 31, 2014.

1. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Next job to get the header to the muffler. As I'm running 2.5 inch mufflers, but this steps down to 2 inch, so I had to modify the mufflers in readiness.
    I'm lucky in that i have access to various tools at my forge. So I popped a couple of lengths of 2 inch tube in my gas forge, got them nice and hot, then stretched them over my small cone.
    Next I cut off the outlet end off the muffler, trimmed the cone down, then welded it and a flange on, plus added a larger flange to the inlet.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    tomkelly88 and saltflats like this.
  2. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Quick update, it’s been a while, but I spent some of my Xmas break finishing the drivers side header! I reworked the no 6 primary to get more length, which also meant moving no 8 from the back of the y to the front, simple right! I also had laser cut stainless head flanges made, but with correct/equal size ports, which makes the center ports smaller, which in turn doubles the sealing surface on the top of the centre tubes to the head( the original steel ones had about 2mm!). This little mod meant I had to redo the start of the centre primaries on both headers. The passenger side one is tacked and will be finished soon, fingers crossed.
    I’ve also moved the front brake hard lines, now running from the master in side the chassis rail, tons ‘T’ in front of the steering box, where it splits to come thru the chassis rail and up to the modified ford mounting bracket. I did this because the new 6 primary was too close to the brake line for my liking.
    I’ve done a few other things as well, and will update later

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    saltflats likes this.
  3. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

[​IMG]
    Holy Spaghetti ! that's some serious pipe tuning going on there!

4. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Been working on the drivers side inner fender. Having finished the header, the inner fender didn’t fit anymore . So I re did he back edge, moving it further out, then removed the factory horn mount reinforcements, modified the factory brake hose cutout to work better with the modified brake hose mount. Now on to the passenger side.

Attached Files:

saltflats, The 39 guy and Kan Kustom like this.
  5. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Nice work on the inner fender!

6. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Finally, over a year since I started the headers, they, and the entire exhaust system is finished!! Almost, just the caps to make on the dumps, but thats such a small thing that i'm not counting it. I new it would be a big job, but no idea it would be this much work. Both inner fenderwells have been modified for the headers, but hopefully look pretty stock unless you know what they should look like. IMG_7276.JPG

7. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Next little thing has been the alternator mount. Where I had put it, on the drivers side, meant that the fan belt wanted to go thru the fan belt, not ideal
    altmnt1.JPG

8. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

So, I looked around at alot of other options, such as a mini modern alternator tucked down oit of sight, but with the motor mount there's no room for one, then I saw the old chyrsler alternators, pretty cool and 'period', but when you actually get hold of one they are huge! I settled on using the one I had, but placing it between the cabs and rocker cover on the passenger side IMG_8060.JPG IMG_8061.JPG

Max Gearhead likes this.
  9. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

I wanted something 'stock' locking, so I took an Offy/Speedway late flathead offset mount, and modified it, made a mounting plate to bolt it to the head, and a sliding adjuster which traps the mount when the center bolt is tightened. I went for this style of mount for a few reasons, but the.main one being that it offered good support on the front of the alternator and allowed the alternator to hang off the front of the engine a fair bit to line up with the pulleys. Once I was pretty confident it was going to work, I cut of the old alternator mounting tabs, which improved the looks alot. I then made a stainless strap to hold the alternator nice and tight. Of course this meant that I couldnt run the stock tripower hard lines, so found some fuel banjos from Stromberg97 to give me enough room between the carb and alternator. They will need ever so slightly modifying to make sure the seat properly against their gaskets, but if it was easy...This of course has another knock on, being that i'll have to remove the electric choke to run the fuel lines, but I can live with that. Small thumb nails of all this below, so if you want to look you can, but its a bit image heavy, so didnt post 'full' images. I WILL be changing the head mounting hardware, and i'll be filling the threaded holes on the alli Offy mount that are no longer needed. I'm really happy with the way it turned out, I think it looks much better here than on the drivers side, and I think i'll satin black it all so that it hopefully blends in a bit.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    Chucky likes this.
  10. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

I think my next step is engine out to fully weld the clutch arm, and while its out, fill all the firewall holes, paint it, and paint the chassis from the firewall forward...easy..