Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 34 ford pickup

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mark Jenny, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

I'm trying to get my front axle off my 34 pickup so that I can have it modified to a 4" drop.The spring perches are stuck...I've heated everything twice and used blaster in between....still stuck...any suggestions?..

2. 1) Take it to a shop with a press.
    2) Add your general location to your profile.

Charlie Stephens

3. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

4. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

I'm in Carthage MO

5. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

You've got the nuts on there in the pictures, so I'd be tempted to say that's your problem right there ;D

Pull the whole rig out, wishbone ball and spring, drop it out on the floor.

Get the spring off there and you'll have a much easier time moving the pins. Get a couple clamps and a 2x4 to relax the spring and then remove the shackles.

You may have to find the rotted old cotter pins and pick n push them out of all the castle nuts.

The spring and shackles will tend to bind the perch pins even if they seem slack and on pins that have been in there for 80 years, you need to get straight force on them.

6. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Might be easier if you pulled the axle and bone out of there. MORE heat, turned upside down, able to get more pressure on the pins. Keep the nut, loosened up, and on when using any impact if you plan on reusing the pins. As the pin starts moving, keep backing off the nut. A press is extremely helpful.

7. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

The nuts are loose and threaded down aways, so they arent holding anything...but your probably right bout getting the spring off...I can knock out the pins holding the spring to the shock perch,releasing the perch from the spring..that might help?

8. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

how bout getting the pins out the way I did my door hinge pins?...I used heat/blaster and a air chisel..

9. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Pull it out, get the shackles off, try not to ruin them because they are nice. Just relax the spring and remove the nuts.

Remove the nuts from the perches, invert it, use penetrating oil and leave it overnight then hit it with a deadblow or a BFH and a 2x4 so you don't mushroom or bend the pins.

10. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

ok...thanks for the info...I'll go that route....at least that way I can clean up the wish bone better ;)

11. There was a recent post on homemade tool to help drive them out. I'll try to search later and post it.

Mark Jenny likes this.
  12. After beating up my hands for 2 days trying to dis-assemble 5 early Ford front ends, I took them to a truck spring shop for them to do the work. It took them about 20 minutes and $ 20.00 each to do the dirty work. Money well spent. Now I don't even try to do it myself. It is money well spent.

Mark Jenny likes this.
  13. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

progress report....its out and soaking in blaster...tomorrow I will heat it again, then give it a try

Attached Files:

rjones35 likes this.
  14. Jeff34

Jeff34

I tried everything on mine....blaster, heat, press, everything. Took it to my local guy who tried a couple things and then chucked it up in a vise and milled it out.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

15. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

Bummer:(

16. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

There was a HAMB post on a homemade tool designed to pull them out rather than drive them out. Seemed to be a great idea as any attempt to drive or press them out before they're ready (penetrating oil/heat) seems to damage the perches or swedge them in tighter.

Also, you'll get a better response with more accurate titles, such as "need advise on removing spring perches from axle".

Mark Jenny likes this.
  17. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

NOT TRYING TO START A DEBATE ON WHATS THE BEST LUBE ,CAUSE WE ALL HAVE OUR FAVORITES. BUT WITH STUCK PARTS I'VE ALWAYS USED ACETONE/TRANSMISSION FLUID MIX . VERY GOOD RESULTS. GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US POSTED.

Mark Jenny likes this.
  18. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

I wonder when the point is where heat and penetrating oil just isnt going to help.3 tries? 10 tries?....still at it....castle nuts are history...threads on perches salvageable....

19. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Ok, not trying to be a smart azz here, but where are you putting the heat at?

20. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

mostly on the perch bolt /pin that runs through the bones and axle...but some additional heat all around the immediate area

21. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Gotta heat the axle not the pin, and use a hydraulic press. Put it in the press apply pressure, heat, Joe pressure and it should pop

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

That's backwards, you are making the pin expand in the hole, not the hole expand around the pin. Heat the axle.

23. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

ok..cool...thanks guys...called my buddy who owns a press yesterday...he said his press will do the job

24. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

yea.I get that...but when it cools down it should go back to normal size...I'm trying to break loose rust etc by burning out...at least that is what worked on my door hinge pins...heat them, then let cool back down before any force was applied...I never applied force when the pins were hot...if I heat the axhle, it will just transfer heat into the pin anyway?...massive heat sink here:confused:

25. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

heat the axle . use a brass hammer if you have one to hit the pin.DO NOT PUT HEAT ON PIN. i have in past wrapped the top of pin with old shop rag that is wet.to keep it cool while axle expanded. you WILL burn up rag. but it works as heat sink.Are you using an oxy acetylene torch? get axle red hot.

26. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

yep..using oxy acetylene torch....

27. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

so...do I attempt to remove the pin when axle is hot?

28. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Damn straight :)

Mark Jenny likes this.
  29. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

And don't feel bad if you yell "That's right BITCH!" when it pops out. :)