Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 34 Ford coupe barn find

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ss34coupe, Jul 16, 2012.

1. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Looks like that will be an easy job. I don't see too much "street rod" going on there. I guess about a easy weeks work and it would be a proper "hot rod":eek::cool::D

Frank

2. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

3. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Thanks, when I built this car twenty years ago I could not afford to get the grille chromed, so went with the paint. The grille is very straight and would be a good candidate for chrome. Thanks for the comment!

4. RDP

RDP
    from Kansas

Proof that they are out there! You just have to be ready to grab em' up. Great find!

5. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Gonna get back at it today and build a dolly for the body to move it around. Also got to take the rearend apart somewhat so it will be easier to store. Those guys that have worked on old banjo rears will know how much fun that is going to be!

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

What a great looking car! My search for anything even slightly close goes on! I'm happy for you!

7. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Thanks, appreciate the comment!

8. $teamer

$teamer
    from barnsville

The "Michelin Man" goes with me! What a find! The only way to get to the Model A truck in the back was to move the '34!

Attached Files:

9. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Steamer - welcome to the HAMB! Have to thank you for giving me the opportunity to buy this 34 coupe from you. Yes, Steamer is the fellow who owns the barn that the 34 coupe was stored in - and the Model A truck he is referring to is still there, waiting for some wrenching to happen! Model A's run in the family, that is Steamer's son and family with their hot rod. Check out the Model A tudor in the avatar - powered by an Ardun. Steamer built that car many years ago and no doubt wishes he still had it.

10. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Here are a couple of photos that Steamer took of his 34 coupe coming out of the barn and leaving the pasture.

Attached Files:

11. gives me hope, keep looking and talking...

12. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

You got that right! Just makes you wonder how many guys like Steamer are out there with real good vintage tin hiding in the barn, or garage or basement.

13. $teamer

$teamer
    from barnsville

Somewhere on Vancouver Island is this car .Where? I dunno-
    i'd like to find it again

Attached Files:

14. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I wanted to see what was underneath that primer, so I took it off with some gun cleaner and found the blue color that had been hidden. Rubbed it out a bit with some lacquer rubbing compound. What do you think of the patina look?

Attached Files:

15. bonesy

bonesy

That paint is AWESOME!

16. I really dig it!!! You should sell it to me :D

17. Damn, that's a nice looking body.

18. $teamer

$teamer
    from barnsville

Hold it! Hold it! If there's any sellin' going on -it's return to sender!:D You're doing a great job Steve.Keep up the good work.You're doing what I only dreamed of doing. Den

19. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Sorry Chris, but this one is not for sale. It is a keeper! My other 3 window - now that's another story. I might part with it, but looking more for a trade than anything else.

20. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I agree with you! The patina look is great!

21. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Here's a couple more pics....

Attached Files:

22. lahti35

lahti35

I like it just as it is, the patina is perfect!

23. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

and another pic...

Attached Files:

24. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And just what kind of vehicle would you trade possibly for ?

25. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Only interested in a 33-34 Ford five window coupe, preferably a project car with the original floor intact. Would only consider a car close enough to my location where I could see it, and the other party could come to see my car. If you have something you want to talk to me about, then send a pm please - I don't want to get into trade discussions through this thread. PM's only guys! And remember, I am talking about the yellow coupe in my avatar.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  26. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Thanks, Dennis. The coupe spent a lot of time sitting in your barn, and you did a good job of keeping it protected from the elements. That is why it is still in such fantastic condition today, and makes it a lot easier for me to work on it.
    It was interesting to get the primer off and see what was underneath, and the color looks great!

27. They are still hiding out on the Island. Before Dave M bought his house in Nanaimo he looked at another house on the other side of the street and there was a 33-4 coupe in the garage. Wonder where that one got to? Pat

28. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I'll check it out with Dave the next time I am up there, Pat. Who knows, might be another 33-34 Ford coupe still in hiding.

29. There is not enough of that blue paint left to save. I see a lot of bare metal there. Remember where you live. Things rust. Alot. Not every car that is found in a barn has to have the patina saved. That looks like too nice of a car to settle for the lazy way out and not get some paint on it.(I'm not saying your lazy) That car looks like a good one for sure. Keep us posted on the progress. Love them 34's

30. There's people who pay for fake patina that tries to approximate what you have there naturally. I'd keep it like it is and find a way to seal it up to prevent rust.

There's no flawless paint job that will have anywhere near the appeal that that old paint will have.