Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 34 Ford 5 window..historic car?...value?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mark Jenny, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

this 34 belongs to a buddy of mine...he's asked me to post it here and see if anybody recognizes the car...the story he has heard is that it was a 50's custom called the "Bumble Bee"....now thats just what he has heard, not been verified as that car....the fenders are model A fenders that have been leaded in and the running boards modified to fit the fender width....if anybody has heard of the Bumble Bee, or recognizes the car please let me know...I know his intent is to eventually sell the body off...but not until he satisfies his curiosity on its origins...the body is all he has..no other parts....although he mentioned that he has a 33 grill shell and a nice set of 34 rear fenders...I believe they are rears

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      166.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      113.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      150.8 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      138.4 KB
      Views:
    • 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      221.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

so nobody knows this car?

3. I never heard of it but I got an idea that if it were mine I would probably not change the fenders, just a decent grill shell and a chassis and all that's left is just a finishin up. :)

4. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Don't change a thing, cool five window...

belyea_david and stanlow69 like this.

5. Sonofabitch that’s cool!

6. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I dont know the car but the front fenders kinda look more 32ish than Model A. But its really hard to tell from 200 miles away.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

hes had it 30 years...I may be able to buy it from him..hes my neighbor...but hes convinced it was a famous car, so we cant determine a price...

8. You’re cool

chryslerfan55 and cactus1 like this.
  9. :p

10. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

I wouldnt even know where to start on an offer...he has a 37 stock coupe as well thats been sitting for 25 years..everything is there..he quoted 12,500 so you know where hes coming from...

11. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

If it were "famous", it wouldn't be a problem to get info, magazine pics... you see where I'm going.

clem, czuch, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  12. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

yes.i get that...but of course hes convinced that it was a magazine car called the Bumble Bee...but even then...value is attached with the builder and history...I ran a google check on that name and only came up with tuna!:p

13. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Yeah, I understand, but good luck with your pursuit. Neat car!

14. maneri

maneri
    from ohio

tell him to give you the year of the magazine/title
    so we can check it out

15. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

he doesnt know...he was just told by an old rodder that he thought he recognized the car from a magazine and called it the Bumble Bee...thats his scource

16. There were more than a few Ford coupes done that way back then. I had a roadster once that was "what ever you call it". If the true identity isn't learned (doubt it had infamous history) He will either sell it for what someones willing to pay or he'll keep it. Never know, some guys pay lots of money for 32--34 coupes worse than that.

17. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

hes retired, and kind of the "picker" type of mentality...I think the poor guy is just afraid of leaving money on the table if it came back to him that indeed it was an historic car...but as Paul 55 pointed out, if was historic it would be easy to trace its origin and just because it made a magazine doesnt make it worth more money..its just an ols cool 50's custom that somebody built...so the price has to be determined from there

18. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

so lets say its not historic in the rodder world..what kind of money is that body worth realisticaly

19. Mark: I think the body is real savable, good doors and deck lid. Any window moldings or dash?( big ticket stuff) Title? These are bagaining chips, hard to get stuff at any cost. I will throw out a number just to get the conversation started. I was looking for one until I bought my sedan. Realizing the guy has had it for 30 years, doesn't have much in it, and missing the frame and???? I'll say he will get offers at 5g on up. I normally would say I'd give 8+(and more a few yers ago) for it, but the sedan in my avatar is an original paint, complete, non running car I bought for under 10g. I think the real number will land between 7----11 grand. Tim

20. BJR

BJR

Just be glad he didn't say the car was called "The Purple Vibrator"

chryslerfan55, Chucky and Stogy like this.
  21. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

no title or frame..it does have a dash...I was thinking 5K...but I dont know... 10.jpg

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  22. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

Bwaaahaaahaaaa..that would be a fun google search:p

Stogy likes this.
  23. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

mikie likes it !...
    don't recall it in the new England based "cool cars/ square rollbars" book...
    the driver's door is early 1934, front latch handle, late cars had center handles...
    the cowl is 1934, has the small dents to hang the hood side in...
    and i'll bet it has not been changed.. body = 1934.
    the dash is 1933 or early 1934 which had a stamped insert that looked like the stamped 1934 dash...
    but note the upper edge of the cluster insert... looks like it had a large, round, speedo or a speedometer surrounded by gauges..
    .[Lincoln zepher], ['49-'51 ford], ['60's trucks]...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  24. Squablow

Squablow

I don't know it's history but it's damn neat though. Could be a chance at a legit old rod, would hate for it to go to someone who didn't care about or respect it's history. That said, it's got no frame, title, floors, or door garnishes, and it's a little hacked up.

Still more than I have to work with, but I'd place a value around $8K, depending on some factors. A more uncut body, with floors, firewall, on a frame and with a title, probably closer to $15K. The old custom work that was done to it would be a big plus to me but would be a turnoff to other buyers.

brad2v, timwhit and Stogy like this.
  25. $5k is where I was at in my head. Get it!!

brad2v and Mark Jenny like this.
  26. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Why would it be called the Bumble Bee when its orange? Shouldnt it be yellow? Maybe it was actually the Lady Bug.

Whoever ends up building it is either going to have to live with those rear fenders or be a super talented bodyman. Those quarters are gonna be a warped mess where the fenders were welded and leaded in.

Mark Jenny likes this.
  27. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are a wuss if you don't buy it.

-Abone.

Denns1989, Mark Jenny and Squablow like this.
  28. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I had my channeled and sectioned 10" 1934 ford 5w coupe body of 18 years on ebay for $7k...
    had old chrome garnish, rolled black interior, '40 truck dash, bench seat, poncho tail lights...
    not a bite... nippler.jpg
    traded for a black '30 coupe from TX. ... it's body sits on my shortened '33 chassis...
    snake bitt 1 004.JPG

Atwater Mike and Mark Jenny like this.

29. The rear fenders are the best part man!

czuch, brad2v, Mark Jenny and 2 others like this.
  30. clem

clem

Maybe change the title of your thread to - “What is this worth ? “