Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 34 drag truck build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mat Thrasher, Jun 5, 2009.

1. tmacracin

tmacracin

Looks good I like the pipes! Are you going to run a supercharged BBC?

2. outlawsteel

outlawsteel

lookin great man

3. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

wow! This thing looks mean!

4. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Thanks a lot Littleman, I take that as a huge complimate. You do amazing work.

tmacracin, the plan right now is to run with a single four barrell next summer. After I get all the bugs worked out I have 871 BDS supercharger for it.

Mat

5. 1arock

1arock

Sure makes my stuff look like junk. Nice work!

6. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

UPDATE 12/1 It's a roller!

Progress since my last post.
    1. All the patch panels are in. I still need to pull the sheet metal and do some finish work underneath.

2. Some dumbass decided it was a good idea to polish the front wheels. I figured a good week I'd be done. Well three weeks later and some bloody and sore fingers, there both done.

3. Finally after 13 months set it on the ground. What a great feeling. next stop the chassis builder for a cage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If it's not raining or snowing tonight. I'm going to push it outside and get some pics from more then 10' away.

7. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

again...damn

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. captmullette

captmullette

this is my 31 ,a friend in ga. just finished my chassis and cage for mine last night i cant wait to get it home . hes got a trk like yours. he's almost complete. good luck look foward to seeing the pics!!!!!!

9. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Post some pics I wanna see it.

10. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

super duper badass!!!

11. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I lowered my dash rail in my pick up and thought I would do a post explaining how I did it. I've seen some other posts that showing other guys that did it but not how they did it. I was kicking This idea around for awhile. So while I'm waiting for the truck to go the chassis builders I needed something to do. So what the hell, I thought lets give it a shot.
    This did two things for me. First I think the area above the cowl looks a bit bulky. I think this gets worse the more you chop it. The smaller windshield versus the panel below it. Second with the 6" chop you can only sit so low and you are staring at the dash. I have to keep as much headroom as I can to cert. I need 3" of clearance between my helmet and the cage. So now I can lower my seat another inch if needed.

The first thing I did was lay out the section to be cut out. I used 3/4 masking tape and just cut on each side. No pictures here but we've seen it before.

Secondly you will run in to 3 rivets and one spot weld per side. These go into a cross brace under the dash and ties into the B-pillars. There are 2 facing foward and one that faces in. Of the two headed foward the top one will accesable after you take the 3/4" section out. The bottom one I drilled throught the cowl and then drilled it out. This is also where the spot weld is. Next is rivets that face inward. I ground the heads off of these with a die grinder. If I were to do it again I would use the die grinder on the bottom rivets facing foward. One less hole to weld up.

[​IMG]

You can see where I drilled the hole to get access to the rivets and the spot welds.

[​IMG]

This a shot up under the dash rail. You can see where the rivets were.

Next I cut into the A-pillar. I just cut into the outer sheetmetal leaving all the inner structure intact. Inside the cab I cut along the front of the dash mount down the A-pillar. This will leave everything in one piece and come right out. I pulled it out and cleaned everything up and dropped the rail back in 3/4 lower.

[​IMG]

before

[​IMG]

after
    [​IMG]

I still have to do the finish welding and build the filler pieces but you get the idea.

'

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Matt....that is BAD ASS!!!!

The stance and proportion is bang on!.....But hen again.I have an affliction to what your building....killer work
    keep going.

64_Vette likes this.
  13. Louie S.

Louie S.

Kick ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Nice work on a good idea. Makes the chop look so much better.

15. Flat Power

Flat Power
    from New Jersey

whats the size of the chop?

16. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Just a touch under 6".

17. Cshabang

Cshabang

thats a really cool, yet subtle trick....gonna make people think...

18. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Update 1-7

I figured a do a small update. I was off for about 10 days between christmas and new years. I got some shit done that I've been putting off. Nothing earth shattering but stuff that needed done. As off right now I have the cab sheet metal 99% done. The only thing I have left to do is weld up the key hole on the passenger door and 2 body mounts on the back panel.

I also got my bedsides from Mack Hils. I am very pleased they have a nice product. I started to mock them up. I went with the 33-34 60" sides. I took about 2" out in front of the wheels and an inch behind the wheel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also finished an inner structure on the back panel.

[​IMG]

I finished the patch panels on the cowl.

[​IMG]

I ended 1 inch shorter behind the wheels then this pic.

19. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

Nice location on the H.A.M.B. plaque. Mine's still a phone booth but "oh well". Keep up the awesome work. Gary

Attached Files:

20. SholleysTrimShop

SholleysTrimShop

super cool, cant wait to see the end result

21. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

Killer truck/thread. I lowered the dash on my '32 the same way.

22. Al Von

Al Von

Watch out for the buggies!

23. 34Chrysler

34Chrysler

Frickin awesome truck!

24. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Now that's funny,my neighbor is amish. Maybe I'll give him a ride when its done. :eek:

25. Who did u buy the lower rear patch panel from on the back of the cab? I need one for mine.
    Truck is coming along great! The stance is what I'm going for with my 34

26. Big Nick

Big Nick

27. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

The rear patch is just a howells piece. It doesn't look at all like the factory piece. So what I did was use the flange they give you for lap welding the panel in. I took that and hammered it a little deeper and used that as the bottom of the 3 indentations on the back of the cab. I also made a lot of different pieces around the driveshaft tunnel. It's far from perfect but it's close. They also sell a complete panel to the beltline.
    http://www.fordor.com

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  28. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Keep on goin man. This shit is Rad!

29. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

a very cool little truck i like this thread