Register now to get rid of these ads!

331 Cadillac motors any good?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krackerjack88, Dec 14, 2008.

1. 55CHEVROLET

55CHEVROLET

Hope you have some money! the cheapest kit that I have found is 1500 for a stock rebuild, for what I want with my 331, Its going to cost me around 3600

2. I have two 55 cad 331's one has 83,000 original miles with a 54 GMC granny geared 4 speed. the other has 120,000 and a hydro. I've had 5 others. all ran hard and got decent milage to boot

Attached Files:

3. jonnycola

jonnycola

Thats a new 390 I built for my coupe.

It's got a muncie 4 speed, with an open drive banjo. I dont beat on it... and the banjo works just fine. If I drove it like an asshole, I'm sure I'd tear it up.

[​IMG]

Caddy motors are bitchin.

4. 55CHEVROLET

55CHEVROLET

Thats insparation there! CAN'T WAIT TILL I GET MINE BACK IN AND RUNNING!

5. onemintcaddy

onemintcaddy

What was the problem with the stock 3 speed trans on the 331 pre 55 caddy motor. I'm pulling one out of a meet wagon for a bucket proj.

Attached Files:

6. speedmetal

speedmetal
    from houston

I'm having hell finding a 3-2 intake for my 331

7. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

My 53 caddy came with 51 motor . I loved that motor started up on first hit of the starter. you will like it. great torque.

Attached Files:

8. Ratty55

Ratty55
    from Frohna,MO

I will put one in my next hot rod pickup. Here's a shot of one I really liked at the SK500.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

These Early Cadillac engines deserve 1 of 2 Transmissions ::

A Slant Pan Hydramatic or a Vintage 3spd manual ...

On that Note, If any of you Caddy Lovers need a Core i just picked up a '53 331 that could be For Sale or trade for a Desoto Hemi core.

Or could be traded for some Cool Vintage Speed Equipment :cool:

Sixhundred sixteen likes this.
  10. Southfork

Southfork

Will a factory cast iron 3-2 intake manifold from a 390 Caddy fit a 331? My buddy has the 390 3-2 intake, but not wanting to part with it very bad. My 331 came out of a '36 Cord (50s rod) and has a Vintage cragar trans adapter for a Ford pattern trans. I'm not sure what the flywheel is. Where would the flywheel identification likely be?

11. r8odecay

r8odecay

Yes

12. speedmetal

speedmetal
    from houston

let me know if he does shoot me a pm

13. onemintcaddy

onemintcaddy

Would you need to use the colum shifter with a stock caddy trans? Also,,, Is there some way to shorten the tail stock out the back of a stock 52 Caddy trans? That sum bitch must be over a foot and a half long.
    I'm going to have it on the floor shortly to get a better look at her.

Attached Files:

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

My '54 Chevy has a 365 Cad V8 from a '56 Eldorado going in it. I have a Weiand 2 x 4 NOS intake that will support the Carter WCFB carbs. Early Cad V8's are some of the coolest engines around...period.

Some pics of the intake

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The engine has been taken apart for a full rebuild. Should have that running in about a year form now.

Sixhundred sixteen likes this.
  15. onemintcaddy

onemintcaddy

That would look Sweet with the 4-2's set up.

16. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I've got a hybrid 365/390 and fall into the love the caddy's camp. from what i understand 331's have a fairly restrictive oiling system that can cause problems. that's the only downside I know of. pat maguire at wilcap can handle your tranny adapter needs. save yourself a lot of unnecessary expense and headache and call him on the frontend--I speak from experience

enjoy the cad!

17. Larry Smith

Larry Smith

Any one got any information on where we can get a starter, generator and distributor for a 52 caddy Cvt with stock
    331 caddy engine?
    Any leads would be greatly appreciated.
    Longhornlarry

18. CayoRV

CayoRV

Love the early valve covers Evil. How did you dimple them for rocker clearance? They look perfect. I have a nice set that I would like to have chromed and use but they won't clear my Stude rockers. I need to know the secret, I won't tell anyone else ;).

19. No argument here!

20. SLO POK

SLO POK

Hey No name, Next time you post a Pic' of any of my cars let me know first and MAYBE I'll clean it up first. This is the reason I told Filthy Phil not to let anyone take photo's of my cars without asking me first.
    SloPok

21. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

hey newb--I like your car, but your attitude sucks. that's a great way to win friends and influence people here on the board. food for thought.