Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 331 Cadillac freeze plug question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Automotive Stud, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I'm working on my 1955 cadillac 331. Machine shop put the bottom end together. I'm wondering if there's supposed to be a freeze plug in this hole? This is looking down the distributor hole, when I spin the oil pump I've got a lot of oil coming out in there and I'm not getting a ton of oil to the heads. Just want to make sure this is right? Thanks! 20200121_201802.jpeg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Yes, there should be a plug in there(cup shape), directly opposite that hole is another plug (back towards the rear of the block) that is used to access that missing plug when cleaning out your block. Your missing one seems to be quite common on rebuilds.

Automotive Stud likes this.
  3. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Beautiful! Glad I caught it now. Any idea on the size of the two plugs so I can get them at the parts store or do I need to pop out the rear one and measure both?

4. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Also, any other parts like that I should look for? He told me he'd put the freeze plugs in because there were a few odd ones. Figures he still missed one...

5. 42merc

42merc

1/2" cup, freeze (welsh) plug.
    NAPA will sell them to you. Rocker shafts also use 1/2" plugs.

Automotive Stud and osut362 like this.
  6. That plug was loose on my 390 so I tapped the oil galleries and installed socket head pipe plugs... of course you don't want to do that now that the engine is assembled.

7. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

So I found the plug is installed, it just leaks badly! After I get it out and hopefully don't drop it into the pan, but I'm considering pulling the pan and tapping it for a pipe plug anyway now that I know it's a trouble spot. 20200123_192131.jpeg

8. Looks like the same problem I had... you can use a 3/8 NPT tap on that oil gallery. Pull the large freeze plug out of the back of the block to access this area. Then pack the area below it with paper towels and use grease on the tap to catch the chips. I also pushed a wool .410 shotgun cleaning ball in past the area to be tapped before using cutting the threads. Take your time and be patient... don't go so deep that the plug will block the passages at the back of the block. Be sure to remove the "cleaning ball" from the oil gallery after using the tap; it should bring all of the chips in the gallery out with it. I checked everything in the area with a magnet and a bore scope looking for metal. Also, you might have to grind some off of hex end of the plug to get it to clear the distributor. Use a magnet to get all the metal out of the area around the dist. before pulling the towels out. And it wouldn't be a bad idea to pull the pan when you're done.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  9. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

warbird1, kadillackid and RICH B like this.
  10. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Here's a follow up question. I made an oil pump printing tool, spinning it with an impact wrench. I was getting ten psi, now with the leak fixed I'm getting about 25 psi. I'm still not seeing a ton of oil at the rocker shafts. I made sure the shafts are assembled correctly. Is it normal for these to take a while to pump up? I ran the oil pump for five minutes straight. I was expecting a ton of oil. Everything is really just starting to look wet with oil.

11. Sometimes you need to roll the crank while priming to get full oil flow. Even if not required it still helps ensure any oiling holes line up when rotating the crank.

Sent from dumb operator on a smart phone

RICH B likes this.