Register now to get rid of these ads!

'33 Olds brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by norby48, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Does anyone know for sure if any hydraulic brakes can be bolted up to a stock '33 Olds front axle? My lo-buck project is fast becoming a NO-buck project. I'll do discs if I have to, but I want to use the dough for other stuff.

Also, any Hambers in the Chicago area willing to let me see how they build the frame mounts and floor supports for a car like mine? Those channels in the pics are just fitted, not welded. And, the very bottom wood is gone. I have tons of sq. tube.

I've done a lot of 50's-60's cars and subbed a 51 chev, but this is my first 30's car. I do everything but the paint. see my albums.
    I plan to come to the Hot Rod chassis thing on thurs. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. R Pope

R Pope

Wow, straight outta "The Untouchables"! That'll be a dandy cruiser.

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Olds went hydraulic in '34, so I would assume that the first generation hydraulic brake assemblies could be adapted to your car with little or no modification.

4. Harms Way

Harms Way

I am kind of in the same situation, I have a 1933 Buick I put a Buick 455/TH400, and 9" in and it still has mechanical brakes in the front. Originally I was going to contact MAS and get a custom width dropped tube, set up for Ford spindles and just make up some spring pads and bolt it to the stock springs.

After looking at it and doing some measurements, I am going to see it I can either adapt some hydraulics to it or use some different spindles on the stock axle,... it's just taking up space in the shop right now ( a LOT of space !),.... it's been For Sale for a while now and I only get offered trades ( and I would trade it for something interesting),..... so I guess I'll try to find time to tinker with it until it goes away, or goes back in the barn for another decade or two.

If your Olds has a stock beam axle, it should be similar to the Buick, maybe one of us can come up with a salutation. ( somebody needs to finish this car !)

[​IMG]

5. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Love the Olds!