Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 33 Doll Build Page

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 33Doll, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Frame is looking good! What are your plans for paint, powder coat?
    Good info and timing on those Buick style drums....Looking at a set from Boling Brothers for my roadster

Wish you best of luck in your surgery and a quick healing!

loudbang and 33Doll like this.
  2. 33Doll

33Doll

Welp!
    That’s it until I get my surgery on Tuesday I got me a little bench project or two got the clutch pedal all torn apart and cleaned up!
    IMG_0966.JPG IMG_0967.JPG
    Thanks for the prayers and well wishes!

chryslerfan55, Stogy, brEad and 7 others like this.
  3. 33Doll

33Doll

Thanks!
    Was trying to get it cleaned and painted before, surgery. But oh well!

Since my frame
    Has patches, and pitting... I’m painting it with this brush on industrial rustoleum black enamel we use at work for painting out door equipment, motors, pumps, piping etc. You can paint right over dirty nasty metal. But since my frame will be clean. It ought to turn out real nice! I am also going to paint the inside of the body with it. Then thin it way out and paint the wood. After that, Im going to brush on some under coating inside, and the bottom of the floor! I want it to look like a home built Rod from the 60’s !
    Then I am going “ Patina the original brown primer, faded black lacquer look!
    I’m cheap! And I don’t wanna worry about oit in parking lots and Such.
    It’s going to be a daily driver.(at least 3-4 days a week, weather permitting!)
    IMG_0968.JPG

4. 33Doll

33Doll

I’m so excited! My high dollar expensive faded Black Lacquer- Ford Brown-primer simulator paint has finally come in!
    What’s a paint job and body work nowadays, 15-20 grand?
    I think my whole custom patina paint job including sand paper, brillo pads, everything might be about 250?
    I did buy a quart of duaglas bondo,
    For the rough spots!
    (just hope the paint doesn’t go bad before I get to the body!)
    Ha! IMG_0995.JPG

chryslerfan55 and dumprat like this.
  5. You got my attention. I like patina.
    That was my 1st ever attempt to a paint job. I did a patina in '51 chevy

Attached Files:

33Doll and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. 33Doll

33Doll

Cool! Me likes’....A-lot!
    I think I read some of your earlier posts is that the truck you had shoved in a really small garage and utilized the space?
    I don’t know if you were watching my thread when I played around a little bit back in the beginning with the same paint just to see if I could match the original patina that wasn’t checked?
    I was going to use the original paint, but it is really bad at least about 2/3 of the car so I’m debating whether to leave some of the original Patina, or just take it all down the metal and fake it for a while. that also would be easier to strip back off, if I do a real paint job later. I really just wanna drive the car have fun and not worry about shopping carts and crap like that.
    IMG_8104.JPG IMG_8112.JPG IMG_8137.JPG IMG_8125.JPG IMG_8127.JPG IMG_8131.JPG IMG_8140.JPG

It’s fun lets me use my artistic side of me, and I think it looks cool as heck! Since then I found the actual flat brown paint that looks exactly like the original dark brown primer Ford used back then stead of the red oxide.

IMG_8691.JPG IMG_8700.JPG

This is real similar to the look I like, like a time warp, but not over done!

IMG_8595.JPG IMG_8619.JPG
    IMG_8622.JPG IMG_8624.JPG

Real similar to this 35’ except for not so much primer showing

IMG_9121.JPG

I’m trying to achieve this older 33’ look, somewhere in between this one and 35’ pick up

IMG_9487.JPG
    IMG_9489.JPG

Some of the older guys on here (including my Pops) think I’m absolutely crazy putting thousands of dollars in the to car....in my dad‘s words “then make it look like shit! I told him it’s gonna look cool trust me!
    I’m an artist! He’s just not a visionary like I am!

IMG_7042.JPG

7. loudbang

loudbang

Sorry but your dad spoke words of wisdom :)

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. Shiny paint, 1st choice.

All this effort, to "patina" ?? Just get some Mop N Glo. Not a big deal. Its an easily removable floor clear, that's a hell of a lot easier to apply .. then sand, spray, clear whatever .. for the "sh*t lookin'" effect.

USAF, flight line guys used it on their military drab aircraft for years. Also painted the white letters on their Firestones .. but that's another story. Take care !!

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  10. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I say make it shiny for cheap. Drive it hard and use it right it will grow enough scars and wear on its own. But each to their own.

11. 33Doll

33Doll

It will look cool when I’m done with it
    Trust me.

IMG_9492.JPG

12. 33Doll

33Doll

I think I’m gonna do exactly what the guy with the 39 did. But I’ll have to do the whole car like he did the roof!because the original paint sucks!
    I look at this as an artistic challenge!
    Believe me it’s gonna look cool when I’m done with it!
    I probably just shouldn’t tell you guys my plans, and just wait till it’s all done then you’ll go...what did you do?

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  14. Are you planning on a clear coat? Are you going to need one?
    My '36 on the avatar was painted by PO with a satin DTM product and it looked really nice at first but started getting chalky white after a while from routine washing .

Attached Files:

• 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      70.9 KB
      Views:
    chryslerfan55, loudbang and 33Doll like this.
  15. 33Doll

33Doll

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  16. 33Doll

33Doll

I dunno, I think I’m just gonna wet sand buff, wax to see what I come up with!
    Like the 39’ job! Really like that one!

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chris also had a 46 or 7 ford Coupe and it had a flat or satin finish and buffed it up and it looked fantastic...I was just searching his Featured Threads...he's had a fair number of those...Chris really has a passion for preservation of past finishes...as he says they're only old once...

Jason's paint is lacquer...I think your going to do very well with whatever path you choose...I look forward to your continued progress but all the best in your medical situation and speedy recovery...;)

chryslerfan55, loudbang and 33Doll like this.
  18. I’ve done this with regular rustoleum before on old bikes, harleys not schwins , and the biggest thing to do is get the paint hard. Regular rustoleum can take forever to get hard. I’d recommend spraying and putting in the sun to bake them sand. Put it back in the sun to bake for a few days, then polish. Even if it sands good once you start polishing the area gets some heat in it and the rustoleum can get soft then smear and make a huge mess. That’s why I used the lacquer, it works much better. Also tractor supply sells tractor paint by the gallon that sprays cuts and buffs great. Just don’t put it on top of rustoleum primer. It will soften it and bleed through the top coat.

19. 33Doll

33Doll

Thanks Jason! I was wondering about the lacquer versus the regular rest oleum, I have color sanded it before and have had no problem just haven’t tried to buffet, we’ll see if I’m “allowed”to buy a lacquer paint here in California! Every time I try they start to ship it andthen I get this big “sorry we can’t ship to California!”
    I really enjoyed reading your thread on your 39,
    my 33 used to look like that with the black original lacquer, but my dad repainted it with some old lacquer he had laying around in the 80s and it didn’t flash right or something so It looked great for a while, then started cracking after a few years and then looked like crap with rust forming underneath and popping the flakes!
    FFB81D18-7B16-4142-BCB8-69AB6DC28A28.jpeg

20. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I used marine paint. It's supposed to be like lacquer. They paint tug boats and yachts with the stuff

Stogy, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. bchctybob

bchctybob

The Duplicolor Paint Shop line is lacquer. They have black but I don’t know about the red/brown primer you want, maybe you could tint what’s available. It’s available at o’reilly and NAPA stores. I sprayed my dash with it and it looks like black lacquer from the old days.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. 33Doll

33Doll

Doing a little “Light” Duty work today.
    Probably still heavier than the Doctor wants. I’ll quit when I get the second drum drilled for 4.5 Bolt pattern!
    I’m getting a little bit sore. IMG_0998.JPG IMG_0999.JPG

23. 33Doll

33Doll

All done with that! Now I can run either bolt pattern! Early Ford or later Mustang era!
    Cool Beans...Jean!
    Im tired already. Damn surgeries!
    IMG_1001.JPG IMG_1002.JPG IMG_1004.JPG

24. 33Doll

33Doll

Cool!
    Got a little bit more done today!
    Not bad for Gimp on the mend!
    Healing pretty good BTW!
    Had to take it apart 3-4 times!
    The copper sleeves get tweaked real easy trying to get them in all the way past the edge, real thin buggers!
    Reamed out, worked back and forth several times! All good now!
    IMG_1008.JPG IMG_1009.JPG IMG_1012.JPG IMG_1014.JPG

25. Looking thru an old Hot Rod yearbook this morning and came across this picture.
    33 doll (Medium).jpeg

26. 33Doll

33Doll

WOW!!!!!
    Thats My Aunt Dolly! (RIP)
    Probably right after she got the 33 doll!
    What year was that, do you know?

Man! We used to go to Andy’s picnic all the time! That’s one of the things I remember and I was only like three or four years old! I probably have the plaque for that one!

Thanks so much for finding that, I got to send that to my Pop!

By Golly The Doll is Almost Famous!
    Cool!

27. 33Doll

33Doll

I was close! Found the 7th annual!
    And a Valley of the Moon which is somewhere I think Crow Canyon, Napa Sonoma? maybe even half Moon Bay
    I don’t know? I was just a Tot! then
    I’m surprised I remember anything!
    It’s sad that car was so beautiful! look at it now!
    IMG_7601.JPG 144A23AD-384E-433C-9BE5-B66AD925D1ED.jpeg IMG_1017.JPG

28. 33Doll

33Doll

Welp! More done today! Got about 2/3 of the frame done! Not bad for three days of work being a gimp trying to get healed again !(just don’t tell the wife)
    Frames not that heavy. I’m just sliding it. Not like I’m flipping it over or anything!
    IMG_1019.JPG IMG_1020.JPG IMG_1021.JPG IMG_1022.JPG

29. Yep, magazine says it is Andy's 7th annual @ Crow Canyon Park

loudbang and 33Doll like this.
  30. 33Doll

33Doll

How Cool!
    Thanks for sharing that!
    I sent it to my Pop. I I haven’t heard from him yet.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.