Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 327 from a 68 Camaro to a 87 Trans-Am T5

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Lenn B, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Lenn B

Lenn B

Hey, I'm new here, and I know what I'm doing is a bit sacrilegious but just trying to make things meet with a high school project car.

Ive got a 53 bel air that me and my students are turning into a drift/track car. Yeah I know that is crazy out of the ordinary and doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but its what the students voted on so its what is going to happen.

Anywho point to this is, we rebuilt 327 from a 68 camaro that came with the car and I've been running around to get a tranny that I can afford for this project. We had a th400 that we rebuilt but kinda hard to drift an auto so I needed a manual. I just got a t5 from an 87 trans am that was bolted to a 305. Just wondering if anyone has done a swap like this engine to trans deal, if so what size clutch should I be using and flywheel? I see the camaro had an 11" and the trans am had a 10.5". Is it possible to just buy a clutch kit for a trans am and the flywheel for the camaro and slapem together?

The older stuff is a bit out of my norm but trying to do something cool and unique with my students. Any help would be awesome and truly appreciated!

2. Yeah i don't see any reason why you can't use a clutch set from the car the transmission came from right on the 327. Welcome to the hamb. Best way is just talk about the 327 and T-5 transmission you're putting in the 53 Chevy, leave all the other muscle car stuff out and you'll be fine. ;):D

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Did someone say 327!:D

rbrewer, 1Nimrod, Lenn B and 2 others like this.
  4. Welcome to the HAMB from Illinois.

I get your drift!

1Nimrod and Lenn B like this.

5. Only potential issue I can see is the 10.5 pressure plate bolt pattern may need to be drilled and tapped into the 327 flywheel. For sure the slight diameter difference is not going to cause problems.
    As alternative you can use the 327 flywheel and pressure plate, but with a custom 11 inch clutch that matches the T5 spline. Any local clutch rebuilding place can make the custom clutch disc. Even a stock 10.5 clutch will probably work in the 327 pressure plate.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev

The bellhousing and clutch should work but you will need a 153 tooth flywheel that fits the 327.
    Looks like you will also need a mod on the flywheel as 38Chevy 454 mentioned.

7. Don't beat on that T5 very hard!

8. SS327

SS327

That trans won’t live long. The 305 would break them with abuse. Also remember a scatter shield is your best friend. Good luck!

Lenn B and chevy57dude like this.
  9. Lenn B

Lenn B

Thank you so much for the info! You rock!!

10. Lenn B

Lenn B

Yeah I'm going to have to shield up everything, had the students rebuild some of the block, not sure the integrity.. will be quite the venture lol
    Thank you!!