Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 324 Olds to early Ford trans

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Torchie, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Rocket88

Rocket88

@Paul, do you think there is enough meat on a 303 exhaust manifold to match the port to a 324?[/QUOTE]
    Speedy, if you've got 54 and later heads I'm pretty sure 57 exhaust manifolds will bolt on.
    I think that's what is on the pick up Titus was working on.

Attached Files:

2. Torchie

Torchie

3. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I'll take a look at my '52s tonight.

4. Anderson

Anderson

Back on the original topic, my clutch showed up today. As mentioned numerous times, an 11" Ford works like a charm.

The only issue I have is that my flywheel has about a 1/4" lip around the edge, it's not completely flat. While the holes in the pressure plate do line up, the mounting flange doesn't fit inside that lip. So I'll get that machined off...should lighten it a little too!

I ordered mine from Midwest Ford.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420504292.571711.jpg

Posted using the Full Hot Rod H.A.M.B. App

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  5. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I had the same issue with a lip around the edge of my Cadillac flywheel - so machined it flat and now the 11 inch disc and pressure plate fit fine.

6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

per the passenger side exhaust manifold,
    I checked my '52s and the two that still have the manifolds on them look just like Titus' manifold,
    single dump in the rear with mount cast in for generator.

7. The 57 exhaust manifolds are essentially the same as the 54-56 manifolds. The drivers side is a single 'front' dumper. The passenger side has the flow through for the crossover tube, and is not a single dumper. The picture you posted shows the drivers side, which is a single dumper.
    I've asked @titus if he knew what the passenger exhaust manifold was off of. He said they were stock pieces as far as he was aware. Those pictures are from an old survivor hotrod. He didn't piece together the motor.
    Sorry we hijacked your thread. Glad to hear that things worked out as they should for you. Now get that motor and transmission buttoned up! Can't wait to see your little T under power :D
    Perfect! Thanks so much for clarifying Paul. Now I know exactly what I need to track down.

8. Torchie

Torchie

Picking up this thread...
    Got my Wilcap adapter. Installed new pilot bearing and adapter according to the supplied instructions.When i install the clutch and PP it draws the fingers of the PP all the way in leaving no travels for the clutch to engage and disengage. Plus once I bolt the unit to the trans it won't even let me turn over the engine.
    This is the clutch and PP that was on the flathead that the trans came off of.
    What am I doing wrong? This isn't the first clutch and PP I have installed but it is a first for this kind of happening.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated from all you Olds guys out there.
    Torchie

9. Don't you need a Merc pressure plate when using a stock Ford tranny up against a newer v8 or was that just in the case of a sbc. I know I had to find one for a friend who was installing a sbc up against a 39 box in his 31 build. ?????
    F&J put an Olds up against a stock 40 tranny a while back so he would know for sure. He will most likely see this thread an chime in.

10. 1941coupe

1941coupe

I have a 39 box behind a 303 olds,bought flywheel and clutch from wilcap,he has correct p/p I think its a borg and beck,your flywheel needs six evenly spaced holes for b&b pressure plate,i run his setup no problem

11. Anderson

Anderson

The only advice I can offer is what I wrote in post #64 with the part numbers for the pressure plate and clutch disc I used. I have a Wilcap trans adapter and pilot setup, '49 303 block and 78 case toploader "'39" transmission. Stock throwout bearing.

12. Torchie

Torchie

Thanks for the responses gang. As far as I now you should be able to use the Ford PP.
    I am going to check some numbers and see what I can coe up with.
    I will post the results.
    Torchie.

13. Torchie

Torchie

I would appear that I need a Truck PP . 48-56. I may be using a car PP.
    Torchie

14. F&J

F&J

I can't help with Ford pressure plates. Don't know anything about them,

My 40 came without an engine. I used a 1953 Olds 303 that was factory standard shift, and I used the Olds pressure plate, with a Merc disc... to: Stock 40 Ford trans and TOB

15. tire fryer

tire fryer
    from kansas

Can someone give me the part numbers for the pilot bearing and pilot adapter? Or maybe the dimensions, so I can make one.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022