Register now to get rid of these ads!

322 Nailhead 4bbl aluminum intake?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kraz, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Does this item exist or do I need to find a century or riv with cast iron intake. 3 dueces are great, but at the rate I am going with tuning,the car will burst into flames.

Moved my 56 buick last night to make space for my daily driver-which is leaking anti-freeze. Shot gas all over...checked the 2bbl carb (stock set up) and tightened down the carb studs (as I thought is was a vaccume leak that was some of the idle issues....SNAP! Broke the stud off...not from my brute strength..but two of the studs pass through a heat riser deal that causes the stud to corrode-and break.

Thinking about dropping a 4bbl on the car since it is now snowing and the intake and carb have been removed.

Sound familiar?

I did find a expensive $385 4 bbl from TA Performance (waiting to hear back on details) and 3X2 intakes etc. 4bbls seem to be rare.

Send advice...600cfm carb should be adequate for a stock 322 right?

To top it off, that night when to change my wiper blades...my friend picks up the wiper to help...drops the wiper arm and spiders my windshield. NO JOKE!

Thanks!!!

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

No such thing---not counting some guy no one ever heard of who had his own foundry and cast three aluminum Buick intakes in 1959. None of the name brand speed equipment merchants ever made a single four barrel intake for nailhead Buicks.

3. But an iron one shouldn't be too bad to find, although I'm not sure what you'd put on one, the factory carb was a 4GC I believe. Would be a 322 only item, Roadmaster or Century. 500 CFM might be good enough on there.

An iron Buick intake weighs about 40 lbs give or take.

4. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

Im running an Edelbrock 650 on my 322. Runs great, doesn't miss a beat. Might be overkill but it's what I had in the garage:D

5. Man, no aluminum 4bbl? Crazy. The buick strikes again! I see why all I see are 3x2, 6x2, 4x2. I am almost tempted to go multi carb...

But I think I will look for cast iron 4bbl from a century or riv, etc.

If anyone has one let me know!:D

Had a great time finding exhaust manifolds when I cracked one, but I think the intake should be a lot easier.

Side note, keep the electric choke carb when adding the new carb? Thoughts?

Thanks all....

6. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

Don't forget the cast iron manifold was a high rise in itself.

7. Deadendcruiser....still using a stock fuel pump (the vacuum /fuel combo)?

Also, any clearance issues to be concerned with...with an aftermarket carb?

Just trying to play out all the things that can cause a headache(s).

Thanks again for the help.

8. Alright! Need to go through my emails but thank god for the HAMB. Have a couple of choices on intakes.

Deadendcrusier....one quick note-do you run a carb adaptor with you edelbrock unit? I say this because the cast 4bbl intakes supposedly have a smaller bore and bolt pattern? Any issue with mounting the edelbrock?

FYI, 55 4bbl has no heat riser or metal plate on the underbelly....56 4bbl has a heat riser/crossover=potential need for a insulator so AL based carbs do not warp. OE carb has cast base and pot metal top.

Still workin'......Thanks again....

9. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

It's been a while since I looked at my '54 factory shop manual, but there were two different 4bbl intakes--one for Carter carbs, and one for Stromberg 4bbl carbs. The one for the Stromberg has sort of a butterfly looking mounting pad. The other one has that exhaust crossover thing you were talking about. I don't know which performs better.

If you've still got the original starter system on your car, the cast base on the stock carb has a vacuum switch in it that the ignition switch runs through. When you swap carbs, you'll need to either re-do the ignition system, or find a stock 4bbl carb.

-Brad

10. Brad54...good to know about the two different carbs-the guy is measuring the bolt pattern for good measure and getting back to me tomorrow. He said he was going to measure the bore...so I am assuming here (never good) that the manifold he has is a Stromberg.

As for the ingnition-you are correct. The previous owner had converted it to a push start long ago...so I should be okay.

11. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

Yes I have an adapter plate. Everything else is stock. Fuel pump and linkage. I dont run an electric choke. hope this helps.

12. Deadend...thanks for the heads up on the adapter plate. Thanks again for the help...!:D