Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 Radiators

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sgt._Grumpy, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Sgt._Grumpy

Sgt._Grumpy

I’m building a 32 Ford Roadster hi-boy, 401 nailhead, automatic with a 9" rear. On a previous project, I used a Walker Cobra radiator, and never had any issues. I know you get what you pay for, but the Walkers are pricey.
    I was thinking of going with a Walker again, but the z series is about $800.I see cheapie aluminum radiators from $150 and up on eBay
    Wondering what you guys have used and recommend. Aluminum vs. copper, Walker vs. Griffin vs. PRC vs. any other brand. Thanks

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've used many dozens of Walker radiators over the years and never had a failure to date. Fit has always been good and on the one I accidentally drilled a hole into it was fixed by the local radiator shop. He said if that would have been aluminum I would have been out of luck??? I think you get what you pay for is true.

3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Glad you asked this Grump, I was perusing those Chinese Ebay radiators myself yesterday. I can only offer that I had to replace the radiator on my '90s truck last year, everything in stock locally were $100 Chinese units (Napa, Autozone). I went with one, so far so good. They must sell millions of them.

4. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I like U.S. Radiator triple pass copper/brass for maximum cooling. I've used aluminum in the past but it lasted only a couple of years before leaking.

5. I've been building hot rods for the past 35 years and have most of the aftermarket radiators from Babb,U.S. radiator,Griffin and Walker.

I had my worst experience with the aluminum Griffin in my 40 Ford.

I have used the Walkers ever since,,I currently have 3 in my hot rods,,the one in my '32 sedan is 14 years old and I have never experienced and trouble,,my '32 pickup's radiator is now 7 years old and the boss lady's "Ranch Wagon" has a radiator that is 4 years old.

I subscribe to "Walkers the Best" line of thinking,In my traveling the radiator & running hot is the last thing I want to worry about and if there ever was a problem any radiator shop in rural America and repair a copper brass radiator,,with aluminum you usually hear we can order you one. HRP

6. Is not the Z for a/c comes with condenser? Cobra is a bit less? Friend had leaky Walker after a few years. Talked to them at a rod run and they replaced it free of charge.

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I have used many early Ford original radiators in the past with great success. Now that there are fewer restorers fighting for originals and all the streetrodders are afraid of them, I've been able to pick some up for around 150 bucks. They have always worked for me. I'm sure everyone is rolling their eyes now.:D

8. No eye rolling here,,I still have a extremely nice 1932 original V8 radiator,mint firewall & radiator shell stashed away waiting for that next dream car! :) HRP

9. Weasel

Weasel

Griffin sucks a big one - cheapass chinese made crap with epoxied tubes. In fact I hate aluminum radiators in general - they are okay for racing where weight is a consideration and you have big air flow, which is where they were first used and then became popular on the street. But there are many racing components that simply are not applicable or suitable for street use. Cooling is going to determine the overall usability of your ride. Do NOT skimp on the radiator. Copper and brass for me - Brassworks, US Radiator or Walker are all top notch choices....

10. Sgt._Grumpy

Sgt._Grumpy

Good info Gents! Makes me feel better spending the extra $$ for the Walker. The Z comes with or without the a/c condenser. I dont need the Condenser. The previous Walker I had was the Cobra in a 32 grill shell, mildly warmed over 350 and never had a problem what so ever. Never had a Nailhead engine before and thought that going with the Z might be worth the extra $$, though might stick with the Cobra.

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Real Ford or good brand copper...NOTHING sucks worse than overheating on the road.

12. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I first started buying Griffin back in the 80's when he was making copper/brass 4 flue radiators for dirt cars. I supported them over the years beacause they were a local company....but Buddy Griffin sold out, they were swallowed up by a big company and their quality has went way down.
    Today I'd spend the money on Walker. JMHO