Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 Plymouth rear end vs Ford 9"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BradM32ply, Apr 23, 2013.

1. BradM32ply

BradM32ply

I have finally gotten the body off of the 32 Plymouth. I had thought that I had a Ford 9" rear end. Now that I look at it better, I think it is the original Plymouth rear end.
    I would like to use a Ford 9" for my hotrod. I know nothing about how to go about selecting one. I am looking for some advice here. I assume I can get the housings with different lengths from different types of cars. I measured my axle and from the inside of the brake drum backing plates is roughly 53"
    Thanks,
    Brad

Attached Files:

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

A much better way to measure the rear is From wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface :)

[​IMG]

That is because brake drum width vary a good bit ... so a 1 inch difference in a brake drum REALLY means 2 inches in overall width ( 2 brake drums )

The old standby 9 inch for most Hot Rods is the 57/58/59 Ford rear end. It is roughly 58 inches wide ( WMS to WMS ). A 66 to about 76 Bronco also is a good candidate at about the same width. A little known fact is that some 77 - 81 Ford Grandas had a 9 inch rear ( but are fairly RARE ... most were 8 inchers ) and they are also 58 inches wide ( WMS to WMS )

Go here for a list of Ford rears and their widths

http://www.mustangsandmore.com/ubb/FordRearDimensions.html

You might also find this link educational helpful.

http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm

Randy

3. 35desoto

35desoto

The Ford explorer diff is a good swap into a Mopar - similar widths and the right stud pattern - plus it gives you late model disc brakes for no extra work - something with a 3.55 : 1 ratio is a good choice and plenty strong for most s/b engines. Its a common diff in the wrecking yards and relatively cheap.