Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '32 Frame Idea - Thoughts Please?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Will Kimble, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

I have been thinking about rebuilding one of my old cars (EDIT - I don't own this car anymore and am talking about building ANOTHER one from scratch):

[​IMG]

Only this time I would like to use '32 rails instead of a Model A frame. BUT... I want to use as many Model A parts as possible.

Here is what I am thinking - new rails, Model A front crossmember, stock Model A front mount, Float-a-motor mounts on the flywheel housing, simple frame mounts to line up with the Float-a-motors, and a Model A rear crossmember to line up with a stock Model A rearend. I estimate the rear crossmember will have to come forward about 10" from where it would sit in a stock '32 frame. I would probably box from the Float-a-motor frame mounts back to the rear crossmember and make a simple tubular (or channel) center crossmember. I would leave the front part from the Float-a-motors to the front crossmember unboxed.

Any potential problems? Stock Model A rear wishbones might hit the frame? Might make the rear too low? Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
    Will Kimble

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  2. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I hear you, but I wouldn't touch that car. It looks great as is. Having said that… what you want to do can be done without a great deal of problems. I think the rear might look a lot different with the modifications you have proposed. Perhaps an artist rendition might help you decide. Change for the sake of change is what gets us in trouble but what the heck, go for it.

3. Squablow

Squablow

With the kickup, it's going to sit front-high, and if you straighten it, it's going to look odd. To me, it's an awful lot of work for a car that doesn't need it. If you're just doing it for the look, consider cutting down a set of Model A fender aprons, will give you a bit of sweeping body line without redoing the whole chassis, I've seen it done and it can look nice.

I know you're not looking for styling opinions, but if that were my car, the only things I'd do is get rid of that awful seat, and maybe a shortened pickup bed to put that trunk in. The rest of it looks great.

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Unless you really need something to do....I don't think 32 rails will do anything but add some styling and weight; but to me be a lot of work for not much gain? If some style is needed I would do tubed holes in the A frame...What I am saying is if you gave the car to me I wouln't change a thing; it probably goes plenty good and must be a fun car...

5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

X2 on the PU bed...

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

New seat, pickup bed, and PAINT would make that car a stunner not rebuilding with a 32 chassis. The car is also fine as as but just doesn't reach its full pizzazz factor yet.

7. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

I don't have the car anymore, and am thinking about building another from scratch - not rebuilding that one. Thanks for the thoughts, some helpful opinions and ideas.

8. sadsack

sadsack

changing that would be a sin sadsack

9. alchemy

alchemy

I can understand the A front and rear crossmembers to get it lower and make room for a quickchange. But putting the A motor mounts and rearend in '32 rails is silly. Guys backintheday would get a '32 chassis to upgrade all the drivetrain, not just the outer rails. If you want to build it "your way", then do so, but I bet you won't find many who agree with putting that A stuff inside the newer rails.

As for cutting the rear of those gorgeous '32 rails off, I think that's a sin. Keep the full rail and make good use of it. A nice short bed, or maybe a trunk deck of some sort would be perfect back there.

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Find a Deuce frame and build it while driving the wheels off of what you've got. Never take a running hot rod off the road until you have a drivable replacement in place. Those are my thoughts!

11. banginona40

banginona40

I'd leave that car alone and start another project on '32 rails. That's a nice little short you have there. JMHO Bangers look better on the 'A' style rails and I think the wheelbase is too short for a '32 frame

12. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

I totally agree with Tommy (post #10 above). That looks perfect the way it sits. As others have said, build another. Don't destroy the one you now have.

13. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

I like you thoughts of using 32 rail for your new car. I think that Duce rails have great look and really bring a nice finish to a lakes style car. I would not box the 32 rails at all as they will be plenty strong if you are going with another banger, be sure to fab a good K member for the rear engine to mount on and it will provide plenty of torsional strength. Clip the rear of the frame to match your cross member placement and don't hang anything from the lower part of the frame as it really messes up it's natural line. The real trick is to make sure that nothing hangs below the frame rails, but if you use a banger engine that may be a challenge.
    Rex

Attached Files:

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

What are the actual benefits of a 32 frame? Looks don't count. Gary

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  15. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I know this one is on 32 rails from the front back so far. Like so many others have told you though, I wouldn't change the one you have. Build a new one.

Attached Files:

16. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Read

17. floored

floored

Just to repeat what's already been said, Will doesn't have this car anymore he's looking to build the next version.

Ron

18. You don't see many 32 frames with A or B motors. A stock 32 chassis with a B motor and trans might be something to consider. Could be the start of a neat modified.

19. clem

clem

Some where on here is a thread with Model A bodies on 32 chassis - May give some ideas. I always thought that if you could channel an A body about an inch over a 32 chassis it would look better than just sitting the body on 'top' of the rails.

20. tbcworks.com

tbcworks.com
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I say if your building a new one, then throw a 32 frame under it and roll with it!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

Thanks for the pic Rex, I love your car - great job and vision!

22. fortynut

fortynut

I wouldn't think twice about using a '32 frame. Instead of the bother of moving the rear crossmember forward, however, I would just shorten the frame to achieve a reduction in length, saving the trouble of reforming the kickup. Then bob the rear frame horns as is done with 'A' highboys. They don't call 'em Modifieds for nuthin'!!!

23. cheesegrater

cheesegrater
    from california

Just my 2 cents worth
    sell that one & build another one

24. deuce295

deuce295

Kind of funny how many can't quite figure out you don't own that car anymore. I kind of like the idea of 32 rails with a banger. Something different.

25. How could you move the rear cross member forward around 10"s without shortening the frame,wouldn't that put the rear axle to far forward into the frame kickup?
    Unless that is plan of your plan.

26. manyolcars

manyolcars

Hey Will, dont feel bad about all the weird answers. I get that often when I ask a question. Sometimes its so bad I wonder if I didnt say it right. One time I asked a question and got a response that didnt fit at all so I rephrased the question. He wrote another nonsense reply I finally asked if he could understand my question and he said, "Yes, but I dont know the answer and just wanted to say something."
    I was about to start screaming

27. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Ha,ha..very funny , in an odd way:) ! Hm, pot was just legalized,huh:confused:

Will,
    I've always wanted to do what you have in mind ! Mabe someday I will. Go for I say ! BTW, the one the YOU GOT RID OF, was something very cool !