Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 ford spreader bar width?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chad, Jul 1, 2013.

1. chad

chad

What is the actual width of a front 32 ford spreader bar from outside flange to outside flange, I have measured 3 and got 3 different measurements, and these ones I measured are aftermarket ones. So I would assume none of them are right..lol

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I always get a kick out of these types of questions. It's reminiscent to, "carriage before the horse" and "counting chickens before they hatch". Do you not have a 32 to figure this out?

3. I believe the original one on my '32 pickup is 21 1/2" long,,I can measure it when I get home to make sure. HRP

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

OK, I feel bad now, this maybe of some help

1932 Ford Chassis Dimensions

1932 FORD FRAME RAILS ARE 12' 6" LONG.
    1932 FORD FRAME RAILS ARE 6" TALL THROUGH THE BODY AREA.
    1932 FORD FRAME RAILS ARE 2" WIDE FROM FRONT XMEMBER TO REAR XMEMBER.
    1932 FORD FRAME RAILS ARE 4" TALL AT THE REAR AXLE CENTER LINE.
    1932 FORD FRAME RAILS ARE 2 5/8" TALL AT THE FRONT AXLE CENTER LINE.
    1932 FORD FRAMES SHOULD BE 23 3/4" WIDE AT THE FRONT.
    1932 FORD FRAMES SHOULD BE 40" WIDE AT THE REAR.
    1932 FORD FRAMES SHOULD BE 25 5/8" WIDE AT THE FRONT AXLE CENTERLINE.
    1932 FORD FRAMES SHOULD BE 40 3/4" WIDE AT THE REAR AXLE CENTERLINE.
    1932 FORD FRAMES SHOULD BE THE SAME WIDTH AT BOTH THE TOP AND BOTTOM OF FRAME RAIL.
    1932 FORD FRAMES SHOULD BE 40" AT THE REAR MOST BODY HOLE.
    1932 FORD FRAMES SHOULD BE 43" AT THE NEXT BODY HOLE FORWARD.
    1932 FORD FRAMES SHOULD BE 43 1/2" AT THE NEXT BODY HOLE FORWARD.
    1932 FORD FRAMES SHOULD BE 43 1/4" AT THE NEXT BODY HOLE FORWARD.
    1932 FORD FRAMES SHOULD BE 40 1/8" AT THE NEXT BODY HOLE FORWARD.
    FRONT CROSSMEMBERS SHOULD BE LOCATED SO THAT THE CENTER OF THE RADIATOR MOUNTING HOLES ARE 13" BACK FROM THE CENTER OF THE FRONT MOST SPREADER BAR HOLE
    MOTOR MOUNTS SHOULD BE CENTERED 15 1/2" BACK FROM THE CENTER OF THE RADIATOR MOUNTING HOLES IN FRONT CROSSMEMBERS
    1932 FORD BRAKE PEDAL KITS MOUNT 42 1/2" BACK FROM THE CENTER OF THE RADIATOR MOUNTING HOLE IN THE FRONT CROSSMEMBER, TO THE CENTER OF THE PIVOT SHAFT ON THE BRAKE PEDAL KIT
    REAR CROSSMEMBERS SHOULD BE LOCATED WITH THE REAR EDGE OF THE CROSSMEMBER 2 3/4" FORWARD OF THE LAST BODY MOUNTING HOLE IN THE TOP OF THE FRAME RAIL. THE TOP OF THE REAR CROSSMEMBER SHOULD BE LEVEL WITH THE TOP OF THE FRAME RAIL.

sstock...not likes this.
  5. chad

chad

Nope sorry I don't have a 32 to measure. I have a set of ASC rails and a 31 ford 5 window body. And the spreader bars that I measured vary with in 3/8 " of each other. So I just wanted to know which one was correct.

303racer likes this.
  6. Fogger

Fogger

Measured my original front spreader with the cast bronze flanges and it's 23 3/16" overall.

7. Are you planning on pinching the frame rails to accommodate the difference in the Model A cowl ? HRP

8. KENDEUCE

KENDEUCE

I was up at Lobeck's shop 20 years ago waiting for some parts. One of the frame guys was making a front spreader for one of their just finished frames. He tape measured the inside rail distance and went to the tubing rack and cut a tube to fit and welded on the flanges.

What I'm getting at is you could have any number of widths, which is the correct one?

9. chad

chad

I haven't made up mind whether to pinch the rails or spread the cowl a bit. I have seen it done both ways. I have built a bunch of model A's and frames but this is the first one on deuce rails

10. If you pinch the rails you might want to pinch the frame horns also. HRP

11. chad

chad

Thanks!! Those bars I measured were any where from 23" to 23 5/16". And I didn't even bother to measure the "V" style spreader bar.

12. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Some bars use a spacer. Speedway sells them.

13. chad

chad

Ya I'm torn on which way to go because the firewall in my coupe body is mint and if I spread it then I have to splice it.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013