Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 ford 5w; sedan windshield frame

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by big duece, Apr 15, 2015.

1. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I need to invest in a nice windshield frame for my 5w and had planned on ordering one from Spadaro. Anyone know where else to buy a NICE chrome frame? Socal sell them, but I dont know who makes them. United Pacific has them in their catalog, but they have been on back order for the last 9 months.

2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I have a few leads sent my way. Will check out Trautwein in NY. Thanks!

3. scotti32

scotti32

i got one from Mr Roadster, but needed chroming. It does look very close to original.

4. clem

clem

I've had them from speedway motors, I think they own Mr Roadster, and they were not high enough. Didn't matter as I had to chop it anyway, but one was about 3/4 inch too short for a standard height car.

5. clem

clem

If you chrome it, make sure that your chrome man knows where to drill all the holes to let the acid out. My first guy wasn't very on to it and it cost me over a thousand NZ dollars for something that rusted out within 12 months, and then I threw it away.

6. swifty

swifty

I got one in bare steel from Speedway and chopped it to suit the car. I don't think they have chrome ones for 5w's and sedans but do for roadsters. I've also got a United Pacific but wouldn't recommend them as they are not as good a finish as the Speedway ones.

7. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We got an aluminium one custom made here in NZ. The manufacturer wanted a full size template of the window opening as he said all cars are slightly different . The price was still good ,and polished up nicely and not a speck of rust.

8. SimonSez

SimonSez

Was that from Deuce Farm, or somewhere else?
    I am thinking about getting a new one for my Tudor cos the repro one I have doesn't fit very well.

9. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

Walt Trautwein supplied the frames to Spadero (actually I think Walt has passed but his son continues to make them)
    I think the quality is as good as you will find.Bob

10. Originals were paint anyway...unless optioned up.

11. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Think it was Steve jones. That's Deuce Farm isn't it. He wanted me to send a paper pattern as he said all bodies are different , and then even questioned my paper plan. But it fitted perfect . Thinking it was 6 hundy ,maybe ,possibly ,could have been.
    We kept the original for historical reasons but it was very rusty. Cool club screen stickers though.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  12. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

I used a UPAC and it fit fine.

13. SimonSez

SimonSez

Yep, that's them. Thanks!

14. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Trautwein has been making open and closed car windshield frames for early Ford V8s for decades. They are the benchmark in fit and quality.