Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 Ford 3 windows ex hypotetical deuce

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adventurer, Jun 1, 2011.

1. daddio211

daddio211

When it's done you're going to have to rename it "32 Ford 3 windows $250,000 worth of body work deuce"!

2. adventurer

adventurer

Not really...have an old body man that's helping me....he has nothing to do so he comes to my place and does all the welding. He has fun doing this....and is not expensive

3. daddio211

daddio211

Can I borrow him? PLEASE? Everyone else on the HAMB can back off! I called him first!

4. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

5. You and your old friend are simply masters of metal.

6. Noland

Noland

wow, that thing is looking great. Its really coming along nicely. I would be super proud if I was you

7. This still has me dizzy from all the work they have done to restore what I thought was a total loss. Just can't belive what has been done to restore this 3 window. But I love it!!!!!

8. scoobyscooter

scoobyscooter

9. adventurer

adventurer

The bodywork is virtually finished. All quarters are straight, doors open and close good, trunk lid fits right and works good. Gas tank fits ok. Missing filler panel from Walden, and fixing some small dents. Floors are completed. Now it's time to start working on the frame. It's a repro frame that I got in a trade, will need crossmembers installed and holes for the fenders drilled. But no big deal ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bowie and kiwijeff like this.
  10. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

fantastic,hard to belive with what you started with.two thumbs up

11. Ed Wrath

Ed Wrath

Amazing......................Well done!

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'm amazed. You've done what some thought would be the impossible!!! Such a nice job!

From this...
    [​IMG]

to this....
    [​IMG]

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Ok so here's my questions, what are you going to do about the deep rust stains on that car? I have a '32 that's got a good amount of staining and pits that I'd like to see clean before it ever gets primed. Lately my thoughts have been leaning towards blasting.

14. adventurer

adventurer

Still have not addressed that problem...was thinking about wire brushing. Here we don't have dipping....and am a bit afraid of blasting.

15. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

Hardest thing I ever had to sell:( Life happens.

16. adventurer

adventurer

Hi Dan....I know it was hard to sell....but at least she went to a good home...

17. lowpunk

lowpunk
    from berwyn, il

Amazing job. One of my favorite saves yet! Can't wait to see the rest of the build. Nice job man!

18. Roy's ride

Roy's ride
    from Michigan

Your efforts are nothing short of heroic. Simply impressive!!!!

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I've wire wheeled and it's ok but it seems to get really down deep you end up putting a bunch of heat into it. I'd like to see how it turns out for you.

I also thought about building a big "tub" and dipping it in molasses to see how that works out over the course of a couple weeks. I like it because I can just empty it when I'm done because it biodegradable. My '32 might be coming home in a week or two so who knows, I might try it once I have nothing else to do. There's a lot of youtube videos of guys doing it and a few thread here on the HAMB.

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

A guy here in town built a steel tub from 6 sheets (!) of 10 gauge steel, all wended up into a box, 6' wide, 10' long, 4' deep. Filled it with molasses, ("Horse" molasses, available from large feed store) Diluted with water, his son imersed a '32 five window body for 10 days. Results were amazing.

A friend of his asked to dip some stuff, and did when the guy wasn't home. His stuff was dirty with grease and oil, and compromised the molasses mix.
    The mix was situated behind the barn, but next to his orchard. He had to dispose of the oil-contaminated mixture at the county disposal site, and they 'had to know where this came from'...
    So, be careful NOT to contaminate the molasses with anything other than rust!
    An easier route to go with is a heavy wood frame with Construction plastic sheet as a liner. If screwed together, the wood frame materials can be re-used later....

21. patman

patman

I wonder if you set up some sort of recirculating pump going to a shower setup to keep everything wet, if you could get away with using less fluid. Maybe a halo of PVC pipe with spray holes drilled in it?

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

It's one part molasses to 9 parts water so it's not nearly as bad as one would think. And you could go in with a couple friends and dip a bunch of stuff because it supposedly last for 6 months..as long as it's not contaminated like mentioned above. So bodies and stuff would be idea!

23. patman

patman

Quick envelope calc shows 6x10x12 to be about 1800 gallons. Say you filled it up 'full' and used 1500 gallons. (150 gallons of molasses and 1350 gallons of water?) That's still a lot of stuff to get rid of, even if you can safely just dump it. Even if you could cut that in half and recirculated it, seems like it would be easier to pull off. Plus, less fluid means your tub doesn't need to be as tall or sturdy.

Just a thought...

24. chopo

chopo

funny.......... my wife walks by and sees the first images and says what the fuck is that. :) i said check this out. showed her the end photos then she says i would love to see what he could do with his hands to my body :0

25. jmikee

jmikee
    from washington

When i did my five window i did most of the body with scotchbrite disks mostly 7 inch diameter with a buffer on the big panels. And smaller diameters where needed. Ended up localized blasting where the pits were deep.

26. scotti32

scotti32

Wow. The work saving of this body is absolutely awesome.

27. JM53

JM53
    from Round Rock

WOW! Amazing progress so far. Keep it up.

28. Squablow

Squablow

Very impressive. Sandblasting can be a safe option if done by someone with experience and patience. But a chemical strip tank would be preferable for such a delicate body.

29. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

30. brady1929

brady1929