Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 dash in Model A question, build milestone!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nosetime, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Gentleman, I am about to pull the trigger on a 30-31 Brookville roadster body for my build. Bought a rolling chassis a year ago and now... then end game is coming! I am using an original Model A frame, 4" drop axel...Tardel Z in the rear, reverse eye springs. 32 brookville radiator grill. Mild Banger with the best I can afford, period speed parts and '39 transmission, F100 front and '40 Ford rear brakes. F100 steering box. 16x 5.5" Firestone deluxe champions on 40 ford steelies on front and 16 x 7.5" champs on 5" wide Mercury wheels in back. My attempt a semi period correct lake/hot rod banger. Been collecting parts and learning a shit load as I go. I am spending a shitload of cash tomorrow to order the body and did not figure on the cowl/dash giving me pause. I will be running a fuel cell in trunk with fuel pump and regulator...not going to dick with old tank and gravity. Gonna run a stromberg 97 and SP top I scored. So that all being said, thinking I should do the filled cowl and 32 dash. Any thoughts? I could go stock A and try to find a great tank and do all the shit I would have to do to go that route? Or go with the smooth 32. Any advice on steering column attachment to 32 dash? Or any other advice is appreciated. Picking up my body at the Roadster Show in Pomona in June...super excited and a bunch of work to do!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

My suggestion - as you are aiming for the "semi period correct lake/hot rod banger" style of car, find yourself an original 30-31 tank, That way you will have an original dash, and fuel filler. These make the car that bit more authentic, and thereby gives the impression that it comprises of all original parts, You are well on your way to achieving our aim, with that list of parts.
    Post some pictures along the way.

Fitnessguy likes this.
  3. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I ran the stock tank on my 30 pickup with a warmed over banger and was on a road trip and started up a long hill with about 1/2 tank of gas and ran out of gas. I had to wait for the carb to refill and take another run at the hill, put an electric fuel pump and pressure regulator on it. The 97's only take about 1 1/2 to 2 psi fuel pressure. I'm building a flathead powered 30 Sport Coupe and using the Brookville smooth gas tank replacement on it with a tank in the trunk. I like the clean look and I'm using a 32 style dash. All personal preference.

Attached Files:

• 26.jpg
      26.jpg
      File size:
      114.6 KB
      Views:
  4. Thanks Guys. I talked to Pete at Brookville and the 32 cowl and dash can be replaced with stock easily, so I am gonna pony up the extra $500 for that option. I would think by the early 40's a lot of 32 stuff made it on to Model A's? I appreciate both styles , so I will just have to soak it all in when I get the body. In the meantime, if i see a 30-31 tank I will jump on it. Greg

5. alchemy

alchemy

I think a cool dash panel is the jewel of the interior, and there are almost unlimited options that can be installed in a 32 dashboard. Go with the 32 board and begin your search for an interesting old panel.

6. Alchemy, exactly what my Dad strongly suggested. I think thats the best idea, thanks.

7. buford36

buford36
    from Maine

I cut the tank out of my Model-A and used a 32 dash with a Kaiser instrument cluster and formed a sheet metal panel for the switches. Connecting rod for the column. Tom
    IMG_0604.JPG

8. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I put a 48-52 ford pickup tank behind the seat of my 32 ford roadster. it fits perfect across the back and only sticks into your trunk or rumble seat space 9 inches in width and my body is channelled 6 inches. Because it's from a classic truck you can get a new bolt in sender in 12 volt. You can buy these tanks new on line or because they are inside the cab of the truck behind the seat they can usually be found in really good condition. I found one tank in a 49 ford truck that had been sitting behind a barn with it's windows down since 1968 and the tank was still in great shape. I usually come across them at swap quite a lot.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dash is strictly up to you but on my 31 Vic I am running a 32 style dash and running a tank in the back. I just flat like the looks of the 32 dash better and there are more options as far as gauge or instrument panels go.
    Either way is traditional if you have looked at enough old car magazines.

10. gearheadbill

gearheadbill