Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 3 Window - Charging question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fatrod, May 14, 2012.

1. Just starting to get this 100% original 3 Window back on the road after being laid up for many years.

Only 60K miles on the clock and runs very well, except....

After being out for about an hour it just dies and will just about crank over but does not start. Leave it for an hour at turns over and starts just fine.

My first thought was battery and charging but it has a new battery. I checked the voltage directly off the regulator, 6.3 and 7.2 when reved. Checked either side of the AMP meter its down to 6.1 and going to 6.7 when reved, simular story at the battery. Lights on and no drop when reved.

Question. What would be the normal voltage across the battery and what else should I be looking for? I have checked all of the earthing etc. Wiring is 100% untouched original!

Thanks and advance.

[​IMG]

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check/change the coil and condensor.

WOW! What a car! What's the story behind it?

3. Thanks came from a barn in Wisconsin, that all I can say. Everything is 100% original it even has a rear window blind!

4. This is an excellent question for fordbarn.com and earlyfordv8.org. It is definitely a nice car.

Charlie Stephens

5. themole

themole
    from So-Cal

I had a couple of Chevy's that had this problem. Turned out the starters were getting too hot. After they cooled, they worked fine. It's been many years since I had this problem, but if I remember right, all I did was replace the starters. Bad spots on the commutator can cause this too.

6. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

x2 on the coil/condenser combo.