Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 31 Model A Victoria Build w/Pics – Miss Vicky

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-Russ, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Ha Ha, This time? I've never painted the body – it was always just DP60 sealer. And no to metallic, it'll be the same color as the frame has always been – shiny single stage urethane.

Eric H likes this.
  2. Eric H

Eric H

Everything about this car is right. These bodies are underutilizes as hot rod material and I have no idea why.

3. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Probably the same reason you don't see many Chevys...a lotta wood.

D-Russ likes this.
  4. flthd31

flthd31

Nice! Weekend paint job.
    Can't wait to see pics posted Sunday night.

D-Russ likes this.
  5. I thought the paint plan was something like this:
    [​IMG]

6. Mr. Burnett sent me a spy photo. High build and a guide coat. I pick it up tomorrow to do my very last blocking session, then take it back for for sealer and shiny.

-1_zpse3f3c1c5.jpg

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    Malcolm likes this.
  7. Mr. Burnett does very nice work....
    Sorry 'bout letting the Easter Egg slip out.

8. Don't worry, Dave, I won't tell anybody about the "heartbeat" graphic.... *Oops* :oops::rolleyes:

9. You block sanding ?
    Pastel turquoise hides a lot, almost as much as red I hear.

D-Russ likes this.
  10. Could not have said it better myself.

11. I was wondering the same thing, updates are a good thing! I've had a push and a fall!

12. The slick sand is completely blocked, and it's looking super straight. While checking over the entire thing, I discovered that the left rear corner of the top has more crown than the right side. I can't let that go, so I have to shrink the crown some more on the left so it matches the right. So it will probably be a couple more weeks before it goes back to Scott for shiny paint.

13. Dave, are you saying you're cutting this baby again?

14. No Martin, I'm going to try a crown shrinking technique that Robert McCartney (MP&C) taught me. I have to make reversible patterns of both corners so I can see how much it's off. Then I'll need to shrink the left corner crown using a donut dolly and a slapping spoon. I hope it works.

DBruce likes this.
  15. Not all bad news, at least you've got a plan!

16. That donut dolly works pretty well at dropping crowns.
    Good bumping !

17. Dave,
    If the donut dolly isn't enough, you might try using a shrinking disc (aka "shrieking disc of flatness").

18. OK, I'm all ready to do some high crown shrinking. The top left corner is high and making it match the right is the goal. Many of you know this process, but maybe some of you don't, so I'm documenting it here. I learned this technique from MP&C.

First I made a reversible pattern of the left corner. I started by stretching plastic wrap around the pattern area and taped it down. The plastic wrap serves as a release device for the pattern.
    IMG_2895_zps77d66793.jpg

Then I covered the plastic wrap with fiber reinforced packing tape, three layers, each running in a different direction for strength. I also marked the contours of the top opening, the rear window and the quarter window so I could trim the pattern to make it easy to flip and position on the other side once I remove it from the car.
    IMG_2896_zps6df012f0.jpg

Then I removed the pattern and trimmed it out.
    IMG_2898_zpsea5c8f33.jpg

Next, I flipped the left side pattern inside-out, positioned it on the right corner, and taped it down. Then I marked the area of the pattern that didn't touch the right side of the roof.
    IMG_2901_zpsb6439128.jpg

I removed it from the right side, flipped it right-side-out and positioned it back on the left side to transfer the work area to the sheet metal.
    IMG_2902_zps2c1a673f.jpg

Then I made a pattern of the right side so I can check my progress when I start the shrinking.
    IMG_2904_zpsafddaa9d.jpg

The last bit of prep was to remove the wood in the work area so I can get a dolly where I need it. I'm going to use a slapping spoon backed by my ghetto donut dolly assortment made up of various PVC pipe joints and skateboard wheels. (The skateboard wheels are not pictured because they're still on the boards. For those who must know, I'll be using an original early 1980s 70 MM Kryptonics and a late 1980s vintage conical Bones.)
    IMG_2903_zpsa4c5ac07.jpg

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  19. loudbang

loudbang

You do some nice work there.

20. flthd31

flthd31

Dang, I feel so freekin lazy after reading this! I just finished blocking and found a few problems...decided to live with them. Now, I'm reconsidering.
    BTW, plastic coated lead rings for baseball bat warmup make a great donut.

D-Russ likes this.
  21. I agree, EOD dude.
    I'm anxious to see the progress....

22. Loudbang has a Master Explosive Ordnance Disposal badge as his avatar.....

This makes him:
    1. A certified bad-ass
    2. Crazy
    3. Fortunate that he has all his fingers to type

23. loudbang

loudbang

LOL somebody knows the secret. It's always perfect success or total failure. I'm so good I still have all my digits where god put them. :)

24. The high crown shrinking worked pretty well. Here's a video of the original pattern on the problem corner after shrinking. The dotted line is the area that needed to come down.

25. MP&C

MP&C

Nice shrinking Dave! Which seemed to work better, the skateboard wheel? How's the right FSP look on the driver's side?

26. The reversed right side pattern is nice and snug on the left.

The skate board wheel was faster than the PVC elbows, but it made bigger dents, so I mostly used the PCV pieces.

Thanks for all your help Robert.

27. MP&C

MP&C

You see, well worth the trip to Berryville!

D-Russ likes this.
  28. redzula

redzula

Neat little trick there thanks for the write up. Also I'm a big fan of Incubus while I'm working really helps me focus.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!