Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 Model A Frame Plans

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Gordon Reed, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Gordon Reed

Gordon Reed

Hello everyone! I just bought myself a 1931 ford model a coupe body that I really want to put on a z’ed frame. I want to build the frame myself, as I am 18 years old, and know how to weld from the work I take part in from my full time job. It would be cheaper (at least from what i think) to build it myself then to buy one off of the google shopping page. I am open to all suggestions and would like to see plans or blueprints as well as the thickness of tubing you used for your z’ed frame.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gordon, from one Gordon to another go to Wescotts website. They have a set of blueprints there for the model A frame and the 32 frame. Should give you all the info you need to get going on making your own.

3. Gordon Reed

Gordon Reed

I see what you are talking about Gordon, but I don’t see a Z in that frame. Would I have to do the calculations and measurements of a Z in the frame myself or are there prints out there that already have the Z in them?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See if you can find the book How To Build A Traditional Ford Hot Rod by Bishop and Tardel. It contains a whole lot of info on building a model A. It shows how to do a simple Z to the frame but the same concept would apply to a deeper Z than what they did. There are a lot of books that explain most of what you want to do. Books a Million actually has a lot of Hot Rod related books with good info. Also Google is your friend and you should be able to find a bunch of stuff through that. Much you can use or replicate but if there are questions this is a good place to ask them. Just stay away from talking about building a rat rod. You will take more shit for that than it's worth here as this site is hardcore focused on old style traditional hot rods.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your profile page is not filled out, so we have no idea where you are, to address this specifically:

As the frame is the part that most states want to see a serial number on, how are you planning on registering this when it is done?

Most states have a program for registering home built vehicles, but some are more difficult than others.

Frames on existing vehicles can be replaced, but all 50 US states have laws that govern that, too.

You need to know your controlling government agency's rules and regulations in-out-upside-down-and-sideways, before you turn a single bolt, or strike your first arc.

This is not time to be a rebel. Doing this the wrong way can cost you a car.

6. jaracer

jaracer

I built my own frame out of 2 X 4 square tubing, mild steel, 0.125 wall. I did kick up the back but it wasn't like some of the Z setup I've seen. I had a Model A frame to use as a guide. I used a trammel bar to transfer all the mounting points. IMG_1287.JPG IMG_1285.JPG IMG_1287.JPG