The Jalopy Journal
Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by brianf31, Aug 15, 2017.
And FORD POWER.
I plug welded then ran seam sealer over the top edge, wiped smooth and then primed over it all. I suppose you could use weldable prime on the rail and header to minimize corrosion.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app
Thanks man. I tend to over think this stuff so seeing what others have done is really helpful
the headers look sweet! something about the siamese port headers just doesn't work for me same with the angry scream of a small blk. Ford vs. the bag of hammers sound of a 350...I can almost hear it now !
Thanks! See posts #93 and #105.
awesome!...my pos comp wasn't showing those last night lol I reloaded the page a couple times and there they were
I saw this thread when you were still working on the frame and setting the engine... out of laziness I clicked to skip to the unread portion and it jumped me up to this killer A with the body all fixed up. Damn man! Great work!
Thanks! It's been a fun build but I'm already planning Phase II before I finish the first. See, I bought my wife a new Mustang GT for her 50th birthday. Whoa Nelly! I'm gonna need more motor to take her at the drag strip.
Great story and history and great build well done
Tried my hand at fabricating a fuel tank. this was my first aluminum TIG job.
Gas tank looks good! Where does it fit?
Over the rear frame kick-up and between the roll bar tubes. That should give the best protection if I get rear-ended. Next up is a rear firewall made out of bead rolled aluminum.
No leaks from the gas tank on the Sunday drive. Roll on.
Great story . Cool car. I like it
I never miss a chance to bead roll sheet metal. This was some free aircraft-grade aluminum, likely 2024 or 7075. It was harder than woodpecker lips.
60's drag car style Plexiglas windows with nylon webbing and snaps in lieu of regulators. Vintage seatbelt material would have been better than the generic nylon but, in true hot rodder fashion, I used what I had.
I found some fiberglass bucket seats at Aircraft Spruce. They should have that 60s vibe after I add vinyl covers.
Very cool build, keep it up!
Brian, I never saw this thread till tonight after you posted on the RWYB thread and provided a link to this thread, and I just read the whole thing!
You may remember me from last year@ RWYB, as I looked your "A" over and also commented that I had family ties to Fort Valley although they all had either moved away or died.
But never did I realize the work you had put into that car, and what you had started with!
I am of your Dad's generation, raced at Camp Wheeler in a '55 Buick Century in '58. It was a friend's Mother's car and she had no idea where her son was taking it on Sun. afternoon He was only 16 so they wouldn't let him drive, but I was 20, soon to be 21 and they allowed anyone over 18 to drive.
A little later on I was among the crews for those cars you watched racing on the half mile dirt at Central City Park.
Back in Macon in '61, my father and I operated a Pure Oil station on the East side of the river bridge at Spring St. Eventually the I75/16 construction ate that up.
And I ate many a BBQ sand. @ Fincher's
That's good stuff, Dave! I didn't know you lived in Macon.
The kid and I took it to the strip. He cut an .019 light on his first run and beat a souped-up truck. He was thrilled, to say the least.
It spun badly on the BFG Silvertown radials. The clutch blows them with little effort. Time to go shopping for slicks.
This is one of the best threads I've seen on here in a long time. Awesome build - just beautiful.
Let's see if I can post some drag strip video.
Hauls ass right nicely.
My wife modified some of the cheap Summit seat covers to fit the Aircraft Spruce buckets. I lowered the seats another inch for helmet clearance. After adding a little egg crate foam under the covers, they don't ride half bad.
NICE!! do the floor sections under your feet when you go in or out give then pop back like the oil can effect?
Not that I noticed. It's .063" thick 7075T6 and the bead role helps stiffen it more.
My original roof insert was made from a piece of worked-over 20 gage flat sheet. It didn't have enough crown so I ripped it out.
I read here that a '65-'66 Mustang roof would fit an A well. I found a '66 being parted out and, wouldn't you know, it had a vinyl covered top and all the notorious rust pitting. These things don't grow on trees anymore so I claimed it and took it to the sandblaster.
The sheet metal waved a bit after cutting but it clamped down fairly flat.
The fit wasn't perfect but it was good enough after blending with a little body filler. The resulting crown was a big improvement.
Nice job, I know that takes a ton of work to get right. Looks good.
Separate names with a comma.