Register now to get rid of these ads!

31 chevy sedan build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thebrassnuckles, Jul 18, 2008.

1. thebrassnuckles

thebrassnuckles

i bought the 31 off a friend, he had already started a chop didnt finish it, and built the suspension/frame. i brought it home and scraped the bondo off the roof (someone had filled it in with a sheet of galvanized and just smoothed out the edges with bondo. there's a lot of bondo.) and threw some primer on it so it wouldn't rust. i am currently dealing with the hassles of getting it titlerd and registered. but here are some photos.

Attached Files:

2. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

cool deal have fun with it ,

3. valkokir

valkokir
    from DeKalb, IL

It's cool that someone thought to put parallel leafs on it even though they built the frame from scratch.

Good luck with the build, it's already a great start with a nice stance.

Check one of the many guys in the classifieds selling historical documents to get a VIN. Here's an old ad but no indication that it's sold.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170021&highlight=1931+document

There's a company in Argentina selling supposedly accurate VIN plates and they'll etch your digits for free, I may buy one if I can verify it's even close to "reproduction" but no way in hell I'm giving my vin to some randoms in Argentina.

4. thebrassnuckles

thebrassnuckles

the front half of the frame is the original i believe, its been boxed in though, from about 2/3 of the way back it is custom built.

5. valkokir

valkokir
    from DeKalb, IL

It's definitely got some of the original stamping there. Mine has the same "S" in a circle stamped on my front crossmember. Your front crossmember looks to be original or at least a cut down version of it, the front spring mount forging has been cut off and a new one welded to the underside of the frame, same with the rear mount for the front spring and probably trailer springs used (they look a lot shorter eye-to-eye) than stock. There's nothing at all "wrong" with any of this but I thought you might want to know. I was only able to save the front 4' of my frame (12' overall) due to rot.

6. thebrassnuckles

thebrassnuckles

the front suspension is from speedway, i have all rge reciepts and what not, jist looked at it, over $1000 in it from speedway, makes me feel better about spendin $1800 on it.

7. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

looks hot man. good luck. i'm doing a 31 tudor project, also.love this style hotrod.
    [​IMG]

8. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Nice project!

Here's a candy apple red 32 Chevy Sedan my friend owns- parked in my driveway next to my pro street 55.

[​IMG]

9. thebrassnuckles

thebrassnuckles

i havent really done anything to warrant photo's really, been tryin to straighten up the body, i'm learning to use a hammer and dolly. my fingers are ungrateful. every once in a while i get the feeling that i'm in over my head. but then i look at how badass these sedans look and keep truckin.
    i'm tonna make some templates to bend a sub frame out of tubing, not really sure what size pipe to use any suggestions?
    i'm gonna use square tubing at the door jambs and a few other places, but the majority will be round tube, cause i can easily bend that in my backyard shop. still need a few patch panels.
    would the rear corners off a model a fit for patch panels? if they make A patch panels for that spot?

10. thebrassnuckles

thebrassnuckles

i've been beatin on some metal a bit. learnin to use a hammer and dolly is hard on the fingers eh.

11. Love them old 30's chevys....got a soft spot for them. the sedan looks nice, great start, now get it done and start enjoying a cool car.
    Is there any wood left in it?

12. Big Tony

Big Tony

Great looking stance...i can't wait to build an early sedan of my own. Hopefully i will start this winter, sooner of my ol lady would let me sell the 54

13. Pins&Needles

Pins&Needles
    from Santa Cruz

Nice Car! I love the looks of the 31 chevy sedan. I have one two but I'm missing the doors on it... So the projects on hold until I find some... who knew it would be that hard to find 31 chevy doors... damn wood! Keep yer eyes open!
    Goodluck!

14. BOHICA

BOHICA

Both of those cars are beautiful.

15. Draginit1290

Draginit1290
    from Mesa, AZ

i like this stance better:

[​IMG]

HAHA, im just kidding!! couldnt help it tho, nice profile waiting to be PS'd. although......nah.

hey knuckels, i pm'd you bout the trim, would really like to see their condition first...

16. thebrassnuckles

thebrassnuckles

funny you should say somethin about the stance, i'm cruisin down rosedale hwy in bako right, and my dad says "check out that sedan" so i do, its about that low, all patina, it doesnt look too bad, then i continue to the rear of the car, the rear axle isnt centered on the fender wells, at all, and by not centered i mean the shits not even in the car, the rear axle and wheels are hangin out the back, the tires only overlapped the back of the car by like 4 inches maybe. it was retarded. if i see it again i'll post a picture.

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'll be honest, I feel like that wheel base should be a bit shorter. Just my input though.

18. Twobit

Twobit

Are those Ford wheels on that two door in post #7? Not Chevy!!

Regards, Twobit

19. valkokir

valkokir
    from DeKalb, IL

that's a Ford tudor

20. thebrassnuckles

thebrassnuckles

hey so, haven't posted on this in ages, but i've been poor and workin. so not much got done. made up a motor mount, and workin on the transmission mount.
    my dad stepped in the way, sorry bout the crappy cell photo's camera is on the fritz

Attached Files:

21. awesome, I have a 31 sedan also, yours look a smidgen nicer than mine right now.

22. thebrassnuckles

thebrassnuckles

oh dont let the photo's fool you, its a total pile. not really, but it keeps lookin less like a car and more like parts cause i have to undo some work before i can finish it up proper