Register now to get rid of these ads!

31 chevy pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badsix, Jul 30, 2012.

1. badsix

badsix
    from oregon

i just got a 31 chevy pickup about a month ago its going to be a driver with a 235 and a t5 trans. i want to change it to hyd brakes and picked up a 92 toyota rear its the right width, 6 bolt wheels, and 410 gears, it looks like it was made for the old chevy. now my queston i'm getting a 53 chevy pickup front axel and i want to put the spindles on the 31 axel has anyone tried this before. i know the later king pins are a slight bit larger but a reamer will fix that. allso would narrowing the 53 axel and welding it be foolish.

2. Haven't tried that, but the '53 axle will bolt right up to your springs (had one on the front of my '28 Chevy chassis), so there's no real need... unless you REALLY want the '31 axle.

3. Just use that 53 axle. You might have to adapt the u-bolt mounts a little. Welcome to the "wood pile" side of hot rodding.;) Do not try to narrow and weld that front axle, it is more trouble than your life is worth.

4. Good luck with your project. Post some pics when you get a chance. Nice to see another ol' Chevy on the road!

5. what's wrong with the stock front axle?, not to hard to adapt drums to, or get a disk brake kit for it.
    Just sold my 31 chev p/u, so you need to post pics of yours!