Register now to get rid of these ads!

31' chevy 5 window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greatbg, Mar 5, 2007.

1. greatbg

greatbg

I don't see a lot of early Chevy build ups here so I thought I'd post some updates of mine. (This could be because early 30 Chevy's have all rusted away.):D

So after bending the original frame back into usable shape, and borrowing the tires off my Dad's car the setup was off and running.
    I'm putting a 4" dropped axle with a 4link up front and 10 bolt rear end with coil overs and 4link out back. 1958 Chev 283 with a tri-power intake mated to a 200r4 trany. Since it will be a full fendered car I went with disc brakes up front. Still a lot of details to work out but I'm trying to get the car ready for a June show.
    I'll post more pics as I go. This week I will be setting up the rear end, Engine, and the trany.

Attached Files:

2. chopped

chopped

Nice, not so much the rust as a wood issue. Lots of wood as you know. When the wood went the car fell in.

3. greatbg

greatbg

Here's the update on the chevy. So much has been done I thought I"d let every one see how it's going. Frame was bobbed about 15" in back, with a 56 chevy rear end, 4-link and coil overs. Up front a transverse spring and dropped axle with disc brakes. It has a 283 with a 58 corvette dual 4 intake, healthy cam and an magneto looking HEI dissy. Top was chopped 3" up front 2.5" in back and the roof is being filled. 1934 chevy grill, and 34 ford headlights. Just put the jaguar gas cap in and once it's cleaned up I think it will look way cool.

So much more to do, back to work.:D

Attached Files:

4. Ghost28

Ghost28

There are a lot of chevy threads on here now. Nice job on your hot rod...John

5. snelson57

snelson57

Cool...I noticed that you did non say which June in the first post.;)

Can we assume that it is no longer going to be full fendered?

6. Your Chevy is looking great! Are you going to put the fenders back on? It is nice to see another Chevy done tastefully. Here is a picture of my friend with his 1932 Chevy. It pretty much untouched from the early 60s when they converted it to a roadster and put in a 327 with a 4-speed from a Corvette. Steel wheels and a better stance in the near future. Keep up the great work.

Attached Files:

7. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

Keep the update coming.......I just purchased a 27 chevrolet 3 window coupe body.

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Awesome!!! It's coming along really well and I love the chop. That's just the evidence I need to convince my father in law to cut his now!

9. Ghost28

Ghost28

That 32 looks like it would have been chevrolets answer to fords Victoria body style. Nicely done, but I would rather have the roof on it...John

10. Yeah whoever originally built it did a nice job. Its stood the test of time and still wearing the same paint from the early 60s.

11. 31chevymike

31chevymike

How about that! I discovered your thread and could not help to notice that you have the same car as myself! When I bought my coupe 15 years ago, NO ONE had another until a few years after... Early Chevy's are popping up finally because the majority of us cannot afford a steel '32 Ford coupe or Roadster! Click on my ID to check out my album and click on "My Friend" so we can keep in touch! I'll do the same as well! Your coupe is looking awesome and you're right on target!

Attached Files:

12. greatbg

greatbg

Can we assume that it is no longer going to be full fendered?[/QUOTE]

You are correct. Different direction totally. No fenders and diff. headers are in the works.

13. HotRodBen1987

HotRodBen1987
    BANNED

Looks good I'm building a 32 coupe myself. Good luck keep us updated

14. Years ago I had a 32 3 window Chevy with a Nail head, a real piece of junk, but I bought it that way and sold it before I did much to it. But, it did haul.
    Doing a 31 Stovebolt roadster and just gave up on trying to get it as low as I wanted it with the stock spring set up.

15. greatbg

greatbg

Just some updates. Finished the roof, all the ribs are in and some framing for the suicide door hinges are done. Now only a crap load more work instead of a shit load. HA! Here is a shot of the floor also. I sandwiched 3/4 plywood between the steel floor boards, should cut down on the road noise.

Attached Files:

16. Mean Lean

Mean Lean

Hi

I am doing a '31 5W myself and am not sure how much I want to chop it. You did chop the rear window seperately? and how much?
    Did you have to make some vertical cuts?

Leen

17. greatbg

greatbg

We did the rear window separately just in case it needed to be bigger or positioned differently. However we ended up taking out the same as the rear (2-1/2") and put it in its original spot. No vertical cuts needed to be made, but some work had to be done to get the A pillars to match up and the rear quarter windows had to be cut to match up right. I have pictures of the chop if that would help anyone.

18. Mean Lean

Mean Lean

Yes pictures would be very helpfull, in my case. it is gone be my first chop so...
    I narrowed the A pillars on my Chevy and put a homemade frontscreen and a '31 Ford visor on.

Attached Files:

19. greatbg

greatbg

New updates. I lost all my pics of the chop due to a computer crash so that sucks, sorry. I had to redo the firewall and trans tunnel to clear linkage, but it turned out better so I'm ok with that. Headers are done and we've had it running and their getting a black ceramic heat coat now. It sounds mean as hell. I'm working on the doors right now. They are suicide style and kinda pain in the ass. I'll get some pics of that up soon. The tail lights are 58 chevy and the rear pan is made by me. As far as the texas plate goes? I have no idea where it came from. Playing musical plates here in Idaho I guess.

Attached Files:

20. Mean Lean

Mean Lean

That looks very good! Is that the original dash, because thats the part I am missing. Here are some pics of mine. I had to put some fenders and runningboards on for a title inspection in a couple of weeks. Fingers crossed. After that the fun begins....

Attached Files:

21. greatbg

greatbg

Yep, thats the original dash. I filled it and cut new holes for different gauges though. I have a spare dash out of a 31 chevy vicky I would be willing to sell if you would like. Its the same as the coupe but has ashtrays on each side. I can send you a picture if your interested.

22. Mean Lean

Mean Lean

No, I was just curious how such a dash looks. I got an early 40 something dash from a Dodge that I cut down. When it is filled with the radio, speaker grille and gauges it looks really nice.

Attached Files:

23. greatbg

greatbg

That will look cool. I like it.

24. greatbg

greatbg

Been a long while since I got an update in. The chevy is on the road and I'm just working the bugs out. Drives great down the road (big props to the guys at uni-steer). Just a few details like the door windows need put in and power hooked up. Sorry the pictures are not the highest quality.

Attached Files:

25. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

I like it. What 4 link did you use out back? I got a 29 Pontiac to build. If I could just figure out how to recreate the A pillars I would be that far ahead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. greatbg

greatbg

I used a four link kit for a model A from speedway. I did modify it a bit for a cleaner fit and look, works just fine.

That's a cool looking coupe, good luck with the pillars.

27. Looking good