Register now to get rid of these ads!

31' chevy 5 window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greatbg, Mar 5, 2007.

1. greatbg

greatbg

I don't see a lot of early chevy build ups here so I thought I'd post some updates of mine. (This could be because ealy 30 chevy's have all rusted away.):D

So after bending the original frame back into usable shape, and barrowing the tires off my Dad's car the setup was off and running.
    I'm putting a 4" dropped axle with a 4link up front and 10 bolt rear end with coil overs and 4link out back. 1958 chev 283 with a tri-power intake mated to a 200r4 trany. Since it will be a full fendered car I went with disc brakes up front. Still a lot of details to work out but I'm trying to get the car ready for a June show.
    I'll post more pics as I go. This week I will be setting up the rear end, Engine, and the trany.

Attached Files:

2. 265glide

265glide

Wow,
    My first car was a 31 chev coupe with the top hacksawed off,no I didn't do it,this was in 1958.Think I paid 15$ for it,all I have left are pictures and the floor shift stick???Mine was blue also.I'll try to post a picture of it.Are you keeping the body wood or replacing it?
    thanks for the memory, glider.:D

3. Thanks for the pics.Early chevy body wood,intimidates a lot of builders,not just rust.What are you planning,wood or steel structure?Keep us posted.

4. greatbg

greatbg

I'm planning on replacing most of the wood with steel. A filled roof and a few well placed steel tubes should do the trick. I'm doing all the chassis work first because like any anyone I'm trying to put off the body work as long as I can. I think they killed at least 2 trees to put this together originally. Any ideas for internal framing would be helpful. I'll keep the pictures coming as I work.

5. Here's a picture of my friend Gords 31 Chev coupe, as we were filling the roof insert.---Brian

Attached Files:

6. Here are a few more pictures of the framing in the top of that coupe. Greatbg---do me a favour please, and post your question that you emailed me on here, along with my answer to you.---Brian

Attached Files:

7. Here's a couple pic's of my 34 Chevy I did a few years ago.

Attached Files:

8. BLAINE 816

BLAINE 816

We ran a 31 chev. 5 window in A/G and AA/G in the late 50s and early 60s.
    Olds powered 671 blower AHRA record holder many times. Those were the best of times for A bunch of us.Keep us posted on your project.
    Blaine

9. wildmanracing

wildmanracing

I'm building a 31 for a guy. The only problem is that someone started the job and did it VERY badly. I need measurements and a few pics to even begin. Can you help?

Joe

10. dirty mikey

dirty mikey
    from chicago IL

good to see a early chevy build , I'm currently building a 34 chevy 3window coupe good luck with your build.

11. BigDanF4i

BigDanF4i

I'm SLOWLY working on a 29 chevy 3 window. Watch for it at the showdown, (maybe the drags depending on various factors)

12. Stone

Stone

I love seeing early chevy builds. Keep us posted on any progress.

13. mink

mink
    from CT

got a 32 being pieced together . and a 31 in thee attic

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

looking to form a circle of vintage chevy owners for info, parts and such if interested let me know. Maybe even a website

14. bigjohnson

bigjohnson

My buddy titto has a nice '31 chevy 5-window, here are some pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]