Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '31 A Coupe Work in Progress - What do ya think ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ModelEh1931, Oct 28, 2009.

1. ModelEh1931

ModelEh1931

Work in progress...I've had the car 2 years. It used to be a '60s era show rod with a nailhead and candy apple metal flake paint according to one of the previous owners (owned it from '64-'01). I bought it in a started project state. I've chopped the top 4 inches...a bit of metal fab in and out...added the drip rails, which were missing. It has the traditional look, but also has a lot of later hot rod era parts...its going to be driven. Have a look, let me know what you guys think.......:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  2. sixpac

sixpac
    from Courtenay

Wheres the pics? You didnt do an intro tell us about you

3. ModelEh1931

ModelEh1931

Sorry...a little rusty with the whole forum thing....hahaha FNG

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  4. Sorry man, You lost me when I saw the 4 bar and the street rod firewall. Your mixing themes. It just doesn't work. You asked.

5. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

Looks good.
    welcome to the HAMB

6. ModelEh1931

ModelEh1931

Yea...I'm not a big fan of the four bar or the firewall....but thats what it had when I got it.....

7. If your not a big fan of it then why settle for something that will always bug you. It's your car and your free to do as you please but I have never understood that mentality. In a few hours you could have that out and be building it like you invision.

8. ModelEh1931

ModelEh1931

True....but budget and time can also be a factor....esthetically and traditionally hair pins, wishbones, ladder bar set-ups are the way to go....I always understood that the parallel four bars were superior....no caster change...little or no axle twist.......sooo I left it....if it really bothers me....I may change it...

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Nice job. The 4-bar front and rear setup will get you some gasps here and the super-modified firewall too, but don't worry you're on the right path to a nice rod. Enjoy it and have fun.

10. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Looks like a solid start, I'd just ditch the four bar setup.

11. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

Welcome to the HAMB........I like the chop, and the louvered visor.....good tire choice.....nice car....keep it up.........

12. LEMMING249

LEMMING249

Sit's right.........nice chop too!

13. Dont get me wrong. I am not bagging on your project. The stance on that car is great. The chop is right on. You asked for imput and as you know the internet is full on know it alls. I'm sure I won't be the only one.

14. welcome to the fun park. theres lots of info here to help you keep on the right track. dont let the knockers get to you, be sure to check out how it all works and use the search feature. its a great place.

15. ModelEh1931

ModelEh1931

Thanks for the replies/opinions.....constructive criticism is always welcome :)

16. Dave K

Dave K

Chop and stance look great.

17. It's looking good. the wheels and tyres, the chop, . . . and the nailhead. Cool. i'm sure you'll change bits along the way. It always happens. Just keep at it.

18. Well, if cost is a concern, a flat panel firewall would look better, and be more trad. looking and cost almost nothing. Add a couple beads if you know someone with a machine and even better.
    Hairpins aren't too hard to make either. Or source some wishbones. While not free, if you know where to look, they can be had for cheap. Two easy and cheap things to really improve the direction you are trying to go to.

19. Lucky77

Lucky77

There's a lot that's really right on that coupe and a few things that are, well....wrong. I have seen a solution to the front four bar that makes it a little better. The lower bar could be heated up and bent upwards with a nice radius and welded to the bottom side of the top bar. Then you could cut the bottom of the mount off the chassis and weld in a little strip to connect the plates. This would sort of make the whole setup look like a hairpin. If you painted it black it would blend right in with everything else.

Not saying you should or shouldn't do this, just something I've seen to solve the four bar ugliness problem. A firewall on a model A is a super easy swap and they're still pretty cheap on Ebay or at the swapmeet. Same with the visor, either leave it stock or punch some holes in it but the louvers scream street rod. The chop, the stance, the wheels/tires, the whole package is really spot on. Don't settle and let a few easy fixes take away from an otherwise really nice hot rod. Good luck!

20. whid

whid

not found of the firewall but i like the car alot..nice.....................dave

21. Yep, with a few changes that's going to look really nice.
    I think we'd all like to know more of your plans for it.
    It's a good start for sure.

22. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Nice start! and wecome to the HAMB.

23. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i could live with the 4 bar myself if i had to. but that firewall. sheesh. and the most i have ever paid for a model a firewall is 50 bucks...

24. artiep

artiep

Are you reinstalling the nailhead. Cool looking engine.

25. ModelEh1931

ModelEh1931

Unfortunatly, the nailhead is long gone. I brought the car in from Iowa. When talking to one of the previous owners who is now in his 80's.....When he got the car back in '64...it had a stock nailhead. He took the stock nailhead out and put in a modified nailhead with 6-2's out of a crashed dirt track car that the the driver got killed in. When he parked the car years back he sold the modded nailhead. This gentlemen also louvered the visor back then when he got it....soo to me that will not be changed. Yes, there is hardcore tradition....however not every hot rodder from back then did everything the same. He said he did a bit of metal work on it when he had it including filling the roof....he had trouble remembering...he may have modded the firewall some what and the guy I bought it off of had to repair it...it's hard to say without pictures. This car is an old hot rod, and has history...not a stock model a that I've made into a hot rod. Certain characteristics will stay the same. I'm still trying to get the old guy to send me some pictures he has of what the car used to look like. Apparently it won some trophies back in the '60s at a big car show in Des Moines, Iowa.

Right now the car has a 289 small block ford in it with a C4 trans and a nine inch. I'm a ford guy...and to me its the perfect drivetrain. Yes, I know its not exactly traditional.....but it could be correct for a car that may have had a motor/drivetrain swap in the mid '60's.

26. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

I like the look of your Coupe, it sits right, the chop is good and the wheels and tires are perfect.
    If the car has history (as mine does) I would keep it the way it is. The four bar front I could live with and although I have never liked parrallel rear setups..................I'd leave it the way it was made.
    Good luck and post more pictures........................as for the Ford, I am a Ford guy also, but preserving it's history (at least for me) would be to put a nailhead back in it, they are great motors.

IMHO

27. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

You would have to try real hard to fuck that up, already looks great. I wouldn't change much else unless the seat ain't comfy. Sit in it and if it feels cramped, take the seat out and start over, I'd do everything possible to stretch the foot/head/elbow room where that is possible. Stance can't be improved on already, any suspension works if it corners good and it's nailed to the pavement at 70mph. Firewall is to keep motor out of the creature area so if there ain't any big holes in it............
    I'd be drivin' it with about three days of work, then concentrate on the things that affected the handling and performance.

28. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

Updates...what else is your plans for the coupe...more pics!!!

29. blackout

blackout

Looks like a great start. I'm with everyone else about the firewall and the 4 bars. The 4 bars look kinda goofy on a fenderless car but what do I know.

30. ModelEh1931

ModelEh1931

Well....the 4 bars don't bother me really....I've been debating lately...to put hairpins on the front, but just the front....I don't wanna mess with the setup in the rear....I wanna get it running and driving first....the hairpins can be done anytime....it's just not one of my priorities right now....the car is not going to be 100% traditional.

Right now the front end is apart...I'm swapping out the tube axle and mono leaf spring for a drilled & dropped I-beam (powdercoated black) with a posies multi-leaf spring and So-Cal shocks...

I'm going for a look very similar to 3WLarrys '32 3 window coupe....black on black on black

I will post pics as I get the work done...