Register now to get rid of these ads!

30's Mopar 6's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by briggs&strattonChev, Nov 12, 2010.

1. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

Quick question: Is the engine from a 33 dodge truck the same as a 38 plymouth car? If not, is it a bolt-in replacement, or at least the same bellhousing pattern?

I saw this motor on craigslist, just wondering if it will bolt in a car I have.

Thanks

2. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

The pre 35's are pretty close the most noticable difference is that the casting on the 35 and newer included full lenght water jackets on the driver's side of the engine, and a slight relocation of the starter mounting spot due to the added cast material. Other wise they should swap. However, displacement is smaller on the older engines. Not sure when it occurred but the early ones were 198cu in and then they went to 201 in Plymouth and 218 in dodge in the 30's. The other consideration is whether it is a canadian engine. American dodge and Plymouth motors were 23.5 inch at the head.
    Chryslers, DeSotos, and canadian's has a 25 inch so check the length.

Also above the generator just below the head is the engine number. Prefixed as follows: P plymouth D Dodge, C chrysler, S deSoto, and T truck (dodge)

3. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

With the slight relocation of the starter, could I still use the later transmission? I dont have the motor in front of me so I dont know what the clearance is like.

4. If it really came down to it, the guy does say that he has the transmission for the engine, could possibly use the one that is with the engine on craigslist.

5. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Try this link. for some reaso it will not ope for me but I believe there are a couple pictures of the earlier engine casting.

http://www.ply33.com/

6. 73RR

73RR

Hard to tell in the pic but something tells me that the chrome moly block was a 'big' truck deal...the 30" engine.
    You might ask the guy to throw a tape on the head before you get excited or at least get the id code, sorry in advance for the huge pics.

The 23 and 25" have the code near the front
    [​IMG]

The 30" code is farther back
    [​IMG]

7. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

C-15 is a 1937 chrysler imperial/town car limo engine according to the imperial club.
    Engine codes
    C-chrysler
    S-desoto
    D-dodge
    P-plymouth
    T-truck
    IND-industrial
    Not sure about big truck, marine or misc apps.