Register now to get rid of these ads!

302w to clevland heads??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Why stop at rods, if you are building a high winder why not just buy a decent set of rods and be done with it.

2. rustang

rustang

Save yourself some time and aggravation, and forget building a Clevor....I went down that road years back....

Best bang for the buck with stock Ford heads on a 302 is to use the early Mustang Cobra/F150 Lightning heads from the 1993 Cobra/351W lightning. The first year used 60cc chambers and decent runner sizes. These heads are out there, and can still be had cheap (I have (3) sets alone). Run them with some flat top pistons, and they are great on pump gas.... you can port them and clean them up for more power too. Look at blown up ski boats also, as these heads with 1.6 stamped rockers are sometimes in those. :)

The head number you want to look for is FZ3E-AA. Couple them with some used 1.7 Roller rockers from this head stock (Ford/Crane), and you will have some decent performance....

Stay away from all the other Ford heads, (E series, etc) as they are not much better than what you probably have....Oh, and stay away from all of the 1986 HO motors, heads and pistons are all specific to this engine. Unless the pistons are changed, you are stuck with the (1) set of heads, which is too bad as that little '86 was also a roller, and would make good power.

The other alternative is the GT-40P head from the 5.0 Exploders and Mountaineers... flows as well as the GT=40, but header selection is not as prevalent. The plugs on the P head hare not angled so it is kind of odd from the normal SBF design.
    Good luck!
    Tom

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  3. 69-77 351W heads are generally 60.4 cc, only the D8 head is 69cc.
    MOST 302 heads are 58.4cc with the exception of a few C7 and early C8 heads, which are 53.5cc
    So it really depends on what he had

4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Yes, it depends on what he has. Good thing we got that settled, poor guy's been waiting a long time for these answers.

5. LOL - Amen

6. sunbeam

sunbeam

Like I said in an earlier post I have one would I build another one no. To start with the 4 barrel heads are too big and the US 2 barrel heads have poor combustion chambers no quench very octain sensitive with any good compression ratio so that leaves Ossie 2 barrel heads good chambers and port size but not to cheap in the states and intakes are not cheap $400 or so. The stock valves are so so for performance with there multi groove keepers.

7. Bader2

Bader2

Check out john kasse p-38 heads,490 hp from a 9 to 1 stock 302.

8. 26 roadster

26 roadster

9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

We ran a 408 stroker with victor jr heads on 27% nitro for a few years. Worked very well. It would regularly go 8600 rpm this was a stock block also. We couldn't run anymore % nitro in it cause it was 14.7 to one comp. lol. Lippy

Attached Files: