Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 302 ignition wiring?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by babblewon, Jan 29, 2017.

1. babblewon

babblewon
    from cali

So I got this late 80's fuel injected 302 mustang engine. I converted it to carb. My question is about the coil/distributor wiring. I need to buy the ignition system and wanted to go basic. The only thing is that the early carbureted mustang distributors have 3 wires. I'm not familiar with Ford stuff at all. Trying to bypass the ignition box the mustangs use. By the way it's in a bare bones hot rod I'm building.

I wanted to wire it like the typical sbc.
    •Distributor wire to coil -
    •Coil + through balast resistor to the ignition switch
    I attached the wiring diagram I always use.

Good old O'Reilly has all the stock replacement stuff, I just don't know what to do with it haha.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. You have two issues; one, if the Ford OEM type distributor has more than one wire coming out of it, you'll need an electronic box. Two, if this is a roller cam motor, you need the matching steel distributor gear; using the earlier cast-iron gear will eat the gear and send metal through the motor.

squirrel likes this.
  3. babblewon

babblewon
    from cali

Ok so I found that a 1985 mustang with manual trans has the steel gear I need. Then I found the electronic box I need (attached photo). Then the wiring should be the second photo I attached...

Attached Files:

4. babblewon

babblewon
    from cali

Then theses should work?

Attached Files:

5. southcross2631

southcross2631

Put an HEI GM style dist in it like my Morris Minor . Bought it from Summit ,hooked up one wire and it was done . My motor was an H.O. out of an 88 Mustang. Just change the dist . gear if you have a factory roller cam. DSCF0938.JPG

6. mopar362000

mopar362000

use the 85 mustang dist gm hei module ford tfi coil.you can get wiring schematic on the web.Jimmie King