Register now to get rid of these ads!

300 Ford Inline 6 Transmission Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Foulkkustoms, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Foulkkustoms

Foulkkustoms
    from Arkansas

I have a 300 Ford inline 6 and wanting to swap my manual transmission to a automatic trans. where can i buy a kit and what kind of transmission to get.

2. tjm73

tjm73

Any trans that fits a SBF will fit the 300. You'll need a neutral balance flexplate, separator plate, maybe a different starter. Overdrive is an option.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Any of the "6 bolt bellhousing" small block Ford V8 transmissions will bolt direct onto your 300 six. It has the same block pattern and crankshaft/flywheel bolt pattern.

However, you will need a different driveplate (flywheel) because the V8's are externally balanced, meaning the flywheels have extra weight on one side, and the 6 cylinder 240 and 300 engines are internally balanced and do not have "weighted" driveplates/flywheels.

So, as for trannies, C4 Cruiseomatic, C6 Cruiseomatic and AOD automatics are all useable.

Ray

low1936 likes this.
  4. Foulkkustoms

Foulkkustoms
    from Arkansas

1. a bellhousing in ford truck with a v8
    2. where to get a flywheel out of?
    3, and whats the best trans out of those 3?

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

1. can be a passenger car or a light truck V8 bellhousing as long as it is the small block Ford 6 bolt bell

2. It may be possible to modify a V8 flywheel by removing the extra weight welded on. But a better solution.........., maybe Jegs or Summit can supply it, but any good auto parts store or tranny shop should have it available. '65 up Ford passenger and pickups used the 240 6 cylinder and C4......that's a good one to shoot for. If you use a C6 trans, look for a Ford truck application flywheel.

3. Depends on your intended use and what you find available. The C4 is the most efficient (uses less power due to lower internal friction), but the C6 is bulletproof like the GM TH400. The AOD offers best of all worlds flexibility if you have the right rear axle gear to take advantage of the OD.

6. Foulkkustoms

Foulkkustoms
    from Arkansas

thank you for the help hnstray.

7. Strictly speaking, C4, C6, are transmission models, whilst Cruise-O-Matic is a valve body used prior to 1967. Select-Shift was the term after 1966. Both can be had in C4 and C6 transmissions.

Flywheel is a manual trans term, flexplate is the general term for the automatic trans equivalent.

Best place for the O.P. to get all he needs is off the back end of either a 240 or 300 Ford Six. They were made for three decades, shouldn't be too tough to find one with an automatic behind it. Just unbolt everything aft of the crank flange, and take it with you.

Cosmo

8. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

I've got an E40D (Computer controlled C6) you can have, or a C5, or a spare C4 bellhousing for what I have in them. Swap? Located in Texarkana. PM if interested.

9. Not really. The OP sounded VERY newbie, and proper terminology could help when he's out looking for bits.

And I deal with terminology all day, being understood can mean getting the right part vs. getting the wrong bit, or getting nothing at all.

Sooo, asking for a Ford C4 transmission will serve him well enough. Plus, besides us here on the HAMB, who even knows what a Cruise-O-Matic really is?? Or can tell the differences between a Select-Shift and a Cruise-O-Matic??

Cosmo

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

When introduced in 1967 models, they were described, in Ford literature, as "Select Shift Cruise-O-Matic".......as opposed to simply "Cruise-O-Matic" in prior years.

In general, I agree with use of precise terminology. Only problem is, it requires all parties to the communication to be equally aware of correct useage, or the effort is for naught.

Ray

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  11. Great info guys, Thanks