Register now to get rid of these ads!

'30 Tudor dragrod....my latest build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kardude67, Jan 6, 2011.

1. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

It used to cost $3k and up to do this. This setup is around $1k, and you just can't get a much cooler look for that price. I've always liked the Inglese setups, but they are pricey.
    Have fun.

2. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

Bird's eye view of my shop

Attached Files:

3. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

More shop pics

Attached Files:

4. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

Been a while since I made any progress on the Tudor, but I am in a full blitz to get it race ready. I have decided that there is no way that I can get it painted and finished in time for Salina, so I blasted the body and put the whole thing in black epoxy primer. I was at the point where I needed to finish the floors, and I was going to cover up some rust. Now I can finish the fab work and get the systems online. Here are a few pics of the latest doings.

Attached Files:

5. captmullette

captmullette

looking good , keep on posting the progress....

6. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

I like the build ,keep us posted.is it going to stay flt black?

7. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

It'll be painted this winter, but it will be in black primer until then so that I can make Salina and the Hamb Drags. Ran out of time. This gives me a chance to works any bugs out before it's painted, too.

8. HOT ROD BILL

HOT ROD BILL

Keep rollin, us Texas Boys are coming up there to see what you guys got! It's a dragrod not a showrod, judge it going down the track. I'll make this easy, he's building a drag car so bring your's to Mokan and see if you can kick his ass. Hurry up and get some test&tune done! Lookup "Scull Orchard" he'll give you some notivation and lessons on "Trash Talk" etc. Looks good now fire that bitch up and make some passes!!!!

9. Toner283

Toner283

I am in awe of the roof insert. How does that turret punch work? Cool car, ignore the keyboard tough guys. There are quite a few of them on here but overall the guys & girls on here are pretty cool.

What kind of color are you thinking?

10. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

@ Bill, I have met and chatted with Skull Orchard. I'm not gonna do much trash talkin' except to my local buddies. I know how this motor ran in a '69 Nova, so it should be a blast in this thing.

As far as colors, I am going to use a somewhat period correct pallete of browns and beiges, some in gloss and others flattened out a bit. That's why I ran out of time. The bodywork and paint will be pretty extensive, so I'll wait 'til winter and not rush it.

The turret punch has a CNC controlled hydraulic ram that pushes a punch through a die. The turret is full of different sizes and shapes, and it positions the correct tool over the sheet. The sheet moves under the ram on an X and Y carriage. The beads that I have been forming are done with a tool that has an oblong knob protruding up from the bottom die. It pushes the metal into a trough in the bottom of the punch. It repeatedly punches as it moves in .030" increments. (1/32nd) Sounds like a machine gun because it is hitting the sheet @ 1100 strokes per minute. It is in an index-able station that allows the tool to turn as it progresses. This allows me to do arcs and circles. I've been running and programming these things for 23 years, so I get to show off a little on my hot rod crap.

11. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

Floors getting mocked in. Relax, fellas, the rear section is resting on the driveshaft. It will have plenty of clearance when done. As soon as the floors are in, I'll build some bomber seats that will fit my fat ass. It'll be a tight squeeze, but I'll find a way to get in it. I let a kid drive my sprint car, but this one is for me to flog. Once I am fitted in the car, I can mock up the cowl steering/master cylinder/pedal bracket and start wiring and plumbing. I'd like to test by the second week of July. We'll see.

Attached Files:

12. mpot

mpot

That aint flat black. That's Hot Rod Satin! :)

13. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

^that was just a test

14. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

KD 67 those texas hoodlums trying to stir up sheeeeet in kansas long distance. we will have to stick together at hamb drags so they dont steal anything! dragrod is lookin good.

15. Cool build, what did the Nova run with that engine. How tall are the tires gonna be, are you gonna run those drag radials? I miss drag racing pretty bad, nothing like cutting a 1.35 60 foot coming off the transbrake at 5800.

16. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

forgot to add that the firewall motor plate is a badass set up never seen it done!!!

17. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

Thanks, Skull. I am surprised that more cars aren't built that way. It is a simple and effective way to clean up the looks and strengthen the crap out of it. I used to live in Texas, so I will enjoy the hell out of giving them an old fashioned midwest welcome. Maybe we could write them a nice message on the back of our cars?

@PSJ, I never timed the Nova, but it was haulin' ass when it grenaded a super t10.
    I am running the 315 drag radials. Can't wait to let go of the trans brake and play with some physics.

18. Nice.

315-60-15 drag radials? Those are 30 inches tall. What rpm you shifting at and what is your raceweight?

19. HOT ROD BILL

HOT ROD BILL

They say Skull has a message on the back of his, I wouldn't know!

20. Tenacious A

Tenacious A
    from Willis Tx

21. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

I have no idea when I'll shift or what it'll weigh. I'll just wing it. Hope them Texas boys bring some ribs and brisket. That's where I learned to smoke meat, and they definitely
    know how to do it down there. Of course, we'll have to get it before we race. They may not feel so charitable after a couple of laps.

22. HOT ROD BILL

HOT ROD BILL

We'll bring some good ol beans too! You and Scull will be running first round to the Port-a-Shitter! Glad he gave you that refresher course in "Trash Talk" you picked it right up! Better get that Dragrod ready, it's hard to hear you if your in the stands!

23. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Looks like a cool project!

24. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

hotrod bill you better bring the A game its 1/4 mile .he said he had to spend sometime in texas kd67 may not be able to slow down enough to run with you.

25. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

The front end has been blasted and POR 15 silver has been shot with clear over it. The radiator is mounted and the grill shell is being mounted. The floors are being fabbed and supported. Really trying hard to get this heap ready for Salina.

Attached Files:

26. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

kardude, I'll be looking for your car at Salina. Some amazing engineering there.

27. kardude67

kardude67
    from Topeka, Ks

Getting the floor support tubes welded in. These also serve as attachment points for the safety harness. The driveshaft hoop worked out nice. Once the floors are welded in, I can build some aluminum bomber seats and mock in the steering and pedals. Getting a lot done in a few hours.

Attached Files:

28. Tenacious A

Tenacious A
    from Willis Tx

So have you set an E.T. Goal? Running 1/4 or 1/8 mile?

Jim

29. 2dr_sedan

2dr_sedan

Awesome build, looks like it's gonna be a handful!

30. captmullette

captmullette

saw this car at HRR REMINDS ME OF YOUR CAR, if it could of hooked it would have been awesome, turned a 7 something spinning in 2 gears......

Attached Files: