Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 30 model a coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by twinkey, Dec 28, 2009.

1. twinkey

twinkey

here are some pics. of my project. my dad found it for me.it was rotting away in a tree claim. the guy that had it said it used to be his high school car,after that they took the trunk lid off and cut out the back panel and made it into a pick up so they could haul coal home from town,after that something broke on it so they parked it in the tree's,and that's where we found it.it was a complete car minus the trunk and back panel.i took the body off and saved the rest for a someday project. i have some pictures of when we drug it out of the tree's but they are misplaced somewhere. i'll look for them. i started working on it last november. then i was laid off for awhile so i did what could till funds ran out. now i'm back to work so i started working on it again. :) hope to get a lot done this winter.

Attached Files:

2. synthsis

synthsis

Awesome, gonna keep an eye on this one.

3. JGRAFF

JGRAFF

very cool. i want to see those pics of when you drug it out of the tree's!! what are the plans for this build??

4. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Good find. Do it justice!

In WW2 when fuel was being rationed, people who had pickups got a larger ration of gas then someone with a sedan/coupe etc. I went to an auction a few years ago to bid on a '63 GMC (to call it cherry would be an understatement, it was PERFECT...and no I didn't get it :( ) and there were 5 model A's there, 4 coupes and a sedan. All the coupes had home made boxes sticking out the back, one had a model T box shoved in it. They all had pickup-class ration stickers in the windshield.

5. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I love the wheel tire combo

6. twinkey

twinkey

just wanted to say this is my first attempt at a street/hot rod. i built a 68 camaro for my wife and worked on project's for other people.now it's time for the coupe. this is something i have always wanted to do so i joined the H.A.M.B to get idea's and technical help if and when i need it. thanks.

7. You came to the right place. A lot of hot rod building experience here.

You are lucky they did not cut out the rain gutters when they converted it to a "Ranchero." You can get a deck lid, rear pane, and the other parts you need from Brookville. Expensive (join the HAMB Alliance for a break), but good original parts are hard to find.

Good luck!

8. Lookin good, hope to see more soon.

9. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

It looks like you have got a solid foundation and I also like the wheel and tire combo. Also love those Buick drums!

10. Tire and wheel combo looks good, really like that rich color. What color are you painting the body?

11. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

What are your plans for it?

12. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Good start; please keep us updated.

13. twinkey

twinkey

plan on painting the body satin black for now. can't decide on a color yet. i plan on painting the frame and drivetrain the same color as the rims. i plan on leaning more towards traditional with this. i just want to build it so it looks bitchin and drive it!i plan on choppin it 3 to 3 3/4 inches. body is channeled about an inch and a half. i made the frame out of 2x5 tube i put it in a press to make the arch to match the body and i tapered the front of the frame. i will try to post more pics. later this week.

14. excellent start keep us posted on your progress!

15. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Nice looking start. Model A coupes rule!! Uh, roadsters too. And, pickups. And....never mind.

16. Okay twinkie! Repeat after me...HOOOOOT ROOOOD! Hotrod! That's it! You learn fast! hahaha! NO MORE "S" word...
    Just messing with you! Looks alot like mine,little rusty,unchopped,etc. What are your plans? Gonna make it shiney,satin,or leave it? I started sanding and primering mine. Check out my pic's on my profile.
    Went back and took a closer look at your pic's and I just bought those same tires for mine. I have 40 Ford steelies though. They're at the powdercoater.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  17. twinkey

twinkey

here are a few more pictures. hopefully i get to work on it some more next weekend.plan on adding some armstrong lever action shocks to the front suspension next.

Attached Files:

18. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Looks like a great project. Keep us fed with lots of pics as things progress ;-)

19. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

love that wheel color! id paint the body that color to! with rich tan interior.. or whatever you want! looks great so far bud!!!

20. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

this is a coool build dig the inline mill

21. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

You call that rusty, boy you guys out west are spoiled. Just kidding, nice fab work looks great.

22. twinkey

twinkey

here are some more pics. i added the armstrong lever action shocks. got the idea from the wade model a coupe build thread.

Attached Files:

23. blackout

blackout

Great find and nice looking job.

24. twinkey

twinkey

Would just like to say thank you to everyone for all the positive comments.i put ford tie rods on the split bones today. i have to make some brackets for the panhard bar then the front suspension should be done.

25. twinkey

twinkey

started working on the coupe again. i think this is a 30's chevy dash that i cut the top off of then i welded part of the model a dash rail to the top of it. turned out really nice and fit real well. hope to keep at it this time.
    thanks
    chris

Attached Files:

26. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Looks really good so far.. 'A' coupes are cool......

27. Looks like you got a great start. Right on the money with your wheels & tires. Keep the pics coming.

28. dexleo2

dexleo2

Nice..............Good looking project! I just love Model A coupes

29. twinkey

twinkey

made rear panel today. put rear lights out of a 70 camaro in it.

Attached Files: