Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 30 Ford coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fitnessguy, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Yup I’m calling the coupe “leaf blower” now...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Okay I like it. Seeing the pictures for the first time on my large computer monitor I've spotted something.
    Mockup with wrinkly pipes ?
    IMG_8287.JPG And then finished with mandrel bends ?
    IMG_8280.JPG IMG_8281.JPG
    That looks hot to me :cool:

Just Gary, Stogy, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  3. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Optical illusion. Mandrel bend pipes. Bought a couple U’s and split them in the middle then trimmed a couple inches off the curves to get the right height for the offset. Yes I’m liking the look too.

Stogy, loudbang, woodz and 1 other person like this.
  4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Is that optical illusion caused by what on a closer look appears to be heat wrapping around the bends ? Looks like I can make out the stainless tie wrap securing it.

So much heat that the wrap was necessary ?

loudbang, 31chevymike and Stogy like this.
  5. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Yup the full exhaust under car is wrapped except the mufflers. I went through the experience with my Camaro. No heat shield/ sound deadener and no exhaust wrap to begin with and you sweat your bag off in the car. Then did the full treatment of both and the car became much more enjoyable to drive.

loudbang, woodz, 31chevymike and 2 others like this.
  6. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

She’s B.C. regied and insured!! Been a long journey but nice to finally be at this point. Drives down the road straight and smooth, brakes work as well set up drums should... crap! but that was expected. She gets the new top as long as the weather permits tomorrow as it’s been pretty typical spring like lately, wait 5 minutes and the weather changes!!
    B8A2F426-A21A-479F-ADBF-FE308296A910.jpg

woodz, rust&patina, LBCD and 11 others like this.
  7. patman

patman

8. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

That’s a kick ass Hot Rod ! Great job!

Rich

31chevymike, loudbang and Fitnessguy like this.
  9. trollst

trollst

Yep, congrats man, see, the reggie process ain't too bad. Did you use Holly?

10. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Thanks yes I spoke with Holly and she guided me through everything I would need then I dealt with her office in Town to do the final paper work.

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations on a well deserved milestone Fitness...Hotrod looks fantastic. There must be a mile wide Grin happening that won't go away and that is absolutely justified...so the street is now been cleared of last years leaves and ice cream is now on the menu...:D

More Pics and Video...please...;)

12. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Tops done, think it turned out great. Drove it a bit today. Carb still needs a little fine tuning but otherwise she’s moving strong.
    IMG_8334.JPG IMG_8348.JPG IMG_8349.JPG IMG_8346.JPG

31hotrodguy, brEad, woodz and 9 others like this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...look at you go....YeeHaw!!...

14. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Yes sir ready for drive time now

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Fitnessguy...Do they allow you to run and register your vintage plate?

I noticed you mentioned brakes were so so...perhaps some tweaks might improve stopping?...I mean mine seem to work very well mind you I have a mouse motor not the behemoth real fine 409...;)

loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  16. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

No vintage plates as of yet. I just have the one mounted on the front for look which lots of guys do around here. Regular one on the back with the sticker. As for the brakes, they’re fine it’s just been a while since I drove with manual drums. My big wilwoods on all four corners of the camaro have spoiled me!

loudbang, 31chevymike and Stogy like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fitness your on the road!!!! YeeHaww gotta get some pics with Mountains...;)

Just celebrating x2...:D

loudbang, 31chevymike and Fitnessguy like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Frigg the Gov just ditched the white n' blue plates here for some hideous new design...wonder what it means for my vanity plates....:(

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  19. loudbang

loudbang

Well now you can start using the other two carbs too :rolleyes:

20. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Spent the last couple days on the carbs. The throttle blades on the speedway base kit for the outboard carbs fit like crap allowing them to bleed air and make the centre carb impossible to tune. So I’ve been sanding and test fitting and more sanding and test fitting until I think I finally have them right. Think I’m there now so will try em out tomorrow and see if I can get the motor happy. I called speedway and emailed them pics a few days ago and they said they would get back to me. Be interesting to hear what they have to say.
    IMG_8446.JPG

31chevymike, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Unfortunately you’ve discovered why Speedway is not a great place to buy carbs or carb parts.
    I’ll be surprised if you get much satisfaction from their response, I haven’t had great luck calling them for technical support.

I could be wrong of course :)

31chevymike likes this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Fitnessguy your taking it to the limit...feel All the Power Oh Yeah!!...I can understand its like the 409 tune missing a verse...good on you...;)

31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  23. @Fitnessguy it appears those bases are aluminum??? which may be adding to the issue. Seems years ago when tuning my 348 I came across an article about the aluminum reacting to the heat and causing issues. You may want to consider some isolators like CarbKool makes in PA. They work well to reduce heat soak in the carbs.
    Years ago I got the sealing goop from Dickster that GM used to seal those blades back in the day. It did what it was suppose to fwiw.

31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  24. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Well there response so far is no response so I guess we’ll see. It’s why I’ve spent the time working on the blades as I’m not expecting any support but maybe they surprise me.

25. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

You may be right although the quick fuel carb on the 383 in my camaro is fully aluminum and I’ve never had a heat issue. Just run a single gasket. Now it’s sitting on an aluminum high rise manifold so perhaps that’s helping it run cooler vs the factory iron manifold on the coupe right now. I have heard of the sealing goop as I have done a ton of reading on the subject. That stuff still available?

26. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Friggin' ethenol fuel has a much lower boiling point. Aluminum intake to aluminum carb base maybe, maybe not. BUT cast iron manifold to aluminum carb base will definitely draw heat and require a heat damn. I prefer a phenolic spacer, 1/2" is fine. Another huge source of heat is the dang cross over tube under the carb. if you were to pug that, which is not needed, you will go a long way in preventing vapor lock or fuel boil. Simple fix. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

27. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Oh, one more point if you fail to seal the secondary throttle plates it will never, did I say never, yip, run well, if at all.

28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

o_O Still no answer on the sealing goop and how to use- apply it. :D

31chevymike and Stogy like this.
  29. Mike Moreau

Mike Moreau

Blue One The "sealing Goop" is "DAG213" It is sold by Ladd Research 83 Holly Court, Williston Vt 05495 Call them at 802 6608859. Have your credit it card handy and they will mail it to you. This a a very professional industrial supplier. Directions are included. If I remember right it was about 30 bucks for 30 ml, enough product to do bunch of carbs. To apply, remove carb base, follow directions, apply with included brush. Let set for a few minutes and heat to 375 degrees (if I remember correctly) for about 40 minutes. Good luck.

30tudor, brEad, 31chevymike and 3 others like this.