Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 30 Ford coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fitnessguy, Oct 18, 2015.

1. bubba55

bubba55

Sir your attention to detail of yer own personal touches is inspiring - would like a video of that fine 409 running - with you smiling like a mule eating briers - grinning from ear to ear - you've created a family heirloom and if you ever try to sell it - and bubba is around I'll have to come up there to BC and kick yer arse !

wackdaddy and loudbang like this.
  2. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Ha ha thanks man not to worry I’m not very good at selling my stuff. Have a lot of time and energy into this little coupe, would break my heart to see it roll away with someone else. I will post a video once she’s done for sure. Someone might have to tell me how to though as I’ve never posted a video!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  3. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Lots of interruptions this weekend but still managed to get some stuff done. Got the windshield in and visor back on. Nice to have that task accomplished. Got all of the carpet cut and trimmed into place with the necessary holes popped. Will drop off the pieces to my upholsterer to sew on the binding. Edges will be bound with the same material we used on the seat. Did a few other little piddly tasks, mounted the wiper motor and wired in, mounted the rear view mirror. Built another battery ground cable and mounted. Just getting stuff done.
    IMG_5555.JPG IMG_5567.JPG IMG_5568.JPG IMG_5565.JPG IMG_5569.JPG

4. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Opinion time gents. Run em forward or backwards? I know which I like. Thanks to Elco Head for hooking me up with these. Top notch quality and so much better than just the plain scoops.
    IMG_5600.JPG IMG_5604.JPG

BigO, brEad, 31chevymike and 3 others like this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well opening forward thats the way Norm Grabowski did it, mine were forward on my current ride and I sometimes go with the flow so to speak...Ram air or Suck air this is another way of looking at it...I will say the little filters are pretty hideous to look at and yes I run them too...the Bug Dome Screens look way more stylish. That is to say the finned element is much more pleasing to the eye than those filters...It's really a personal decision and both including angled this way and that way existed back then...

What I will say is I see your filter screens facing up and if you have not secured the foam it may end up sucked into the carb in some way shape or form (perhaps yours have screens both side which if so I stand corrected). They come out real easy...I cut some 1/2" x 1/2" chicken wire to fit into the rubber ring to sandwich the foam thing...

RS_20180525_170622smlr.jpg

I can't stand the look but you can see how I meshed in the foam as I have lost the foam including the
    whole shebang on several occasions thru sputters thru the carbs when I didn't wait for proper warmup. I was thinking of modifying a bug dome to fit over the fuggly filters to mask them...but for now its as it is...You can see my new fuel line install and I re-positioned things to sit a wee bit tidier...The rebuilt primaries seem to respond well...this fall its the other 4...

Heres a link to a thread about these and other filters

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...tting-enough-air.1103678/page-2#post-12525702

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    BigO and loudbang like this.
  6. nice to see the fins pointing to the rear. Seems to flow better with the fins on the vc's and then you don't get that filter looking you in the eye....just saying.

Fitnessguy and Max Gearhead like this.
  7. loudbang

loudbang

I like them pointed forward :)

8. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

all good stuff for sure. My choice is backwards facing. yes i will flip the screens, i just threw them on to see how it would look.

9. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Thought i would share, any guys north of the 49th looking for gauge restoration, here's the guy i just had do the rebuild on my Sun tach. Did a great job, at a more than fair price. Great at returning emails and had it done in a couple weeks which i think is more than fair.
    IMG_5613.JPG

Jet96, loudbang, Finn Jensen and 3 others like this.
  10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

There is a theory out there that those scoops should face back towards you in the drivers seat towards the rear in other words.

The reasoning is that the airflow will be better into the scoops similar to the cowl induction systems on some muscle cars.

Stogy, loudbang and Fitnessguy like this.
  11. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Got a nice surprise visit from Dave Friend and his newly finished coupe. Went for a little cruise and stopped by my place to show him my coupe. Great car Dave, drive the doors off er!!
    IMG_5622.JPG

12. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Back of the interior is DONE! Carpet in, quarter panels in, bulkhead in, seat installed. Still have some stuff to do with the tranny and other stuff up front so will be leaving those panels and carpet out for now. It’s why I made all the floor panels removable, make life easier when working on the car. Really happy how it turned out. Getting the motor all ready to go to the machine shop on Monday. Will plug away at any odd jobs left while I wait for the motor to get done. Might have to pull the camaro out and put some miles on her while I wait.
    IMG_5640.JPG IMG_5644.JPG IMG_5642.JPG

woodz, Rich B., 57tailgater and 8 others like this.
  13. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Looks good! Could you take a measurement from the front of the seat cushion to the subrail crossmember that runs in front on the seat, just behind the stock shifter position? Thanks, setting up mine, yours looks further back, maybe cause of that 409 ?
    Thanks.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

10 inches

loudbang and Dino 64 like this.
  15. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

loudbang likes this.
  16. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

Did you make those cup holders ?or are they something that’s for sale I’ve never seen them and I like the idea

loudbang likes this.
  17. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Yes I made them. Bought the stainless cup inserts on amazon but made the steel frames. Gonna shorten them up a little to tuck them in tighter to the seat but otherwise they work well. I was going to build a single unit to hold the two cups in the middle but with two people sitting on the seat there was no room.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  18. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

Cool thanks , I have the same inserts just couldn’t come up with something to kinda hide them so I might steal your idea

loudbang likes this.
  19. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

No worries! That’s what the hobby is all about!

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  20. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Put the door glass in today. Did a few other little things this week but for the most part took the week off. Nice to take a bit of a break. Gonna jump hard on all the remaining little stuff tomorrow as I patiently wait on the motor build. Went and chatted with a vehicle inspector that was recommended to me yesterday as I will have to get the car BC regied once it’s done. He started going on about needing cat converters and windshield washer motors blah blah. Beam me up! I called up the big local GM dealer as the owner is a customer of mine and me him. They do inspections as well and he owns a bunch of cars himself. He said he has one older guy that works for him that does all his old car regie inspections so I will be going to him. Safety is one thing that I would never slack on but when a guy starts going on about cat converters on a friggin hot rod... have a nice day. I looked at the guy when he said that to me and I said do you know how many damn hot rods are in the province and not one of them has a cat?? Just smile and walk away! Ha ha
    IMG_5710.JPG

21. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Purdy Spiffy...:rolleyes:

31chevymike and Fitnessguy like this.
  23. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Also dig those Whittek stainless steel hose clamps from the 50's! Bought a few myself. Everything is looking mighty fine Fitness! Did you get the engine back yet?

Stogy likes this.
  24. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

thanks. motor is supposed to be done end of the month. it's like being 8 again waiting for Christmas!! Only i have to pay for the present... :(

brEad, bubba55, Blue One and 2 others like this.
  25. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Got the last of the carpet cut and bound by the upholsterer. Still have to decide on the side panels in the trunk.
    IMG_5798.JPG IMG_5799.JPG

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just carry the kick panel and/or the inside fwd quarter panel material into the trunk...go with the flow but no more cup holders...:D. Fitness do those holders slide back or rotate under the seat when not in use?...​

31chevymike likes this.
  27. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

that's likely what i will be doing. Have to cut some templates out. The battery box has the posts coming out the side facing the quarter so i might have an issue with clearance there. Nothing i can't overcome though! Do you have something against my cup holders? i am sensing some dissatisfaction with them?? :( I spent hours and hours custom designing them! :D

brEad, 31chevymike and Stogy like this.