Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 30-31 model a cowl welting question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chappy444, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Morning all,
    I am taking this telecommute time to try and be productive.
    I have collected what I think are all the parts required to fit a hood to the '30 but I have a question about the cowl lacing... I have done a search but havent really found the answer I am looking for.
    At the top of the cowl there are 3 holes.
    The single hole in the welt channel is not threaded, the two behind the welt channel are threaded.
    The welting kit I have (no internal wire) comes with 3 screws with the same thread pitch as the two threaded holes (and the two holes on the side of the cowl)
    My question is, am I missing a small bracket (like what is on the 32s) or am I missing a nut under the cowl top to secure the welting by through bolting it?
    Anyone have a picture of what that area looks like with welting properly installed?
    Hope that makes sense and thanks for the help.
    Chappy
    20200323_095612.jpg

2. alchemy

alchemy

The welting goes in the forward groove, the one with the single hole. The rear two holes are for the hood hinge bracket.

Tim and The37Kid like this.
  3. Thanks @alchemy
    So I am missing the hood hinge bracket...
    Do you know it that forward hole is supposed to have threads or a captive nut or something? Mine does not... I can get at it from underneath to add a nut... disent look like it will be easy though.
    Thanks again

4. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

The welting is thru bolted.
    brkt.jpg

5. @Mr T body
    Thanks for the pic...
    Now I know what holds the center of the cowl band down...lol
    I guess I will have to figure a way to get my hand up behind the gas tank and get a nut on the hold down bolt.
    Chappy

6. modagger

modagger

Greetings

If I may be so bold as to piggyback onto this thread. I just today received a two piece hood from Rootleib for my ‘30 Model A with a ‘32 grille shell. Are both the cowl and grill hinge brackets I need for a ‘30, or is the grille bracket for a ‘32? Recommendations for a source?

Also, welting kits for cowl and grille?

Thanks and be well
    Jeff

sacminiwheels likes this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Does your new hood have a Model A or '32 center hinge?

8. modagger

modagger