Register now to get rid of these ads!

3 window doors adjust

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jcforgives, Nov 8, 2019.

1. jcforgives

jcforgives

2. alchemy

alchemy

Are they sagging? The B pillar is mostly wood and might be cracked or rotten. That might be why things are out of alignment.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

The bottom front edge of mine sticks out a touch . I’ve never been able to correct this area . I have looked at hundreds , lots with the same area and issue

4. clem

clem

Maybe by putting shims in the body mounts, or door hinges.
    There are a lot of variables to consider ;
    - is your frame true and level ?
    - are some body bolts over tight, and some loose ?
    - did someone put bolts through the body holes that are not supposed to have bolts through them ?

Perhaps a little more information on what you have and where the problem lies, would be helpful. Is this a car under construction or an existing vehicle ?
    Pictures are also helpful.

5. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Make sure there's nothing causing that, eg the rubber bumpers or dovetails. Assuming that's not the case and the door sits nicely in the aperture in all other respects, you're probably looking at tweaking the door - eg holding the door ajar with a piece of wood toward the center of the forward edge and then firmly pressing the bottom of the door inwards - one shove at a time, check result and repeat as necessary. I've only done it once on a new Brookville and it worked wonderfully! It's a rather brutal process and the fear of royally screwing it up almost made me want to leave it alone!

Chris

6. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

That’s my thinking exactly ! It’s been that way for many many years the next care taker of it work on getting it to fit a bit better . Thanks for the help .

7. 4psi

4psi

To check alignment of all three hinges I removed doors. Leave the body hinges screwed into the wood pillars.

From there I checked the body hinge alignment by sticking a piece of welding rod down through the holes of the three body hinges.

My body hinges were out of alignment so I removed them and straighten (carefully) in a vice. When I was done the welding rod fit through all three holes equally without binding . I could freely move the rod up in down while it was ran through all the holes.

The second adjustment that worked for me was the bolts that tie the cowl to the frame.

The third adjustment was in the dovetails where the door latches.

Hope that helps.