Register now to get rid of these ads!

3 Wheeled '55 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blackmaria60, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

Just hit a snag, nothing cool here. Lowering the '55 and put 2" drop blocks on and the right rear won't get under the wheelwell. ARGH! Totally deflated, but the rim runs into the drum by the time the tire is under the well.

It's only 2" down, and the tires are supposed direct replacements to the originals (670x15 = 207/75 R15), but I'm wondering if the rally rims are too wide. The other side went on fine. Those rims came with it and are temporary.

2. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

Going to have to drop the axle down a bit to get it on and then pray you don't get a flat somwhere. The wheels might have too much offset it sounds like.

Also, if the one went on... but not the other your axle might be swayed or your frame might be a tad bent. I'd measure them.

3. squirrel

squirrel

My 55 has the original quarter on the driver side, and a replacement lower quarter on the pass side. I had to trim and bend the pass side out quite a ways to get that tire to fit the same as the other side. The other side of the body had been massaged by someone else years ago.

4. flynstone

flynstone

reminds me of my shoe box ,,,had to carry 2 jacks, one to jack the car up and one to jack the axel down...................

5. Larry T

Larry T

10.5 slicks on 15X10 wheels. Gotta jack the car up, put it on jack stands, unhook the driveshaft/coilovers and drop the rearend to change.

Where's my torch?
    Larry T

Attached Files:

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Pull the shock off at the leaf spring. That should give you more travel.

7. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

I'll measure it later, but God forbid something is off....I took a 7.50 x 14 off my '60 Olds and was able to shoehorn it in there. The drive shaft is off and so are the shocks. I should have left well enough alone!

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post some pics of what you are working with

9. primed55

primed55

55-57 are never perfectly semetrical (at least none that i've had) one side it always 1/2" - 3/4" off.

My rear's are 8" and i have to jack the opposite side, so that the drum comes down and tweaks out. Then i can slide the rim in, then you have to lower the other side back to get the lugs on.

10. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

Primed - I think you are right! I measured from the face of the drum to the verticle face of the fender, and the RH is 6 1/2" while the LH is 7 1/8"

Luckily, the radials that are on the Rallys are 205/75 R15 so I hoped once they went on the orig. rims they would fit, and it did! I'm in like Flynn.

Still had to deflate the tires tho, but it's easy now.

11. snaptwo

snaptwo

trifive.com has a nifty tire size and rim calculator.Plug in a few numbers , rear end width, wms-wms, tire size, wheel offset and it will tell you if your combo will work. It can't correct for an offset housing however.

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

good that you got it figured out - you can always modify inner fender lip at wheelwell opening to get a little more clearance

13. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

i had to modify my fender lip, slid a hammer handle in there and turned the hammer head. worked really well. But like everyone else, only on the passenger side.

14. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

Trifive.com is handy, and I'm a member there too

15. for clearence on wheel wells. I use a short base ball bat. put the small end of the bat either in front or rear between the over inflated tire and lip and while holding the bat lightly, have someone move the car slowly forward and back. sliding the bat up a little each time. till you get what you want. the bat will roll with the tire and flatten the lip. I've done this with some pretty nice paint jobs and no damage ever