Register now to get rid of these ads!

3" to 2" sanding disc cutter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ether, Mar 15, 2009.

1. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I employ 2 air sanders when working, one has a 3" backer and the other has a 2", I buy 3" disks, as the edge wears I put it on my 2" and use the 2" backer as a guide to trim it with and old pair of snips I have just for the job.

2. tjsr19

tjsr19
    from Lincoln NE

Just take a 3inch id pipe that is 1 inch thick then get a piece of 2inch id pipe that is 3inches thick. chuck up 2inch in the lathe and turn a cutting edge. heat the edge red hot and dip it in old oil or distilled water and rock salt. Or use caseinite...spelling? If you have it. Then you take and turn a piece of brass stock to work as a bushing between the two. ie 2.95"od 2.05 id and slide them all together. Go grab a pice of cutting board that will fit in the botom of your can crusher and load this all up in there. place the 3inch in pull the lever and like magic you would have a 2inch. I hope this makes sence this is all of the top of my head so I am sorry if the layout is not perfect and my spelling is typlicaly off but I hope this helps. ps I have not built one but it should work.

3. spooler41

spooler41

Over the years of working in fab shops , i,ve saved a fair pile of 6"x 96" belt sander belts that were broken before they were very worn. These are high quality cloth backed belts and still very useful, I cut these into 6" discs and use them on my 6" disc/ 1" belt grinder, and attach them with 3M-77 contact cement.They have saved me a lot of cash and last a lot longer than paper backed discs.

..........Jack

4. I read this post yesterday & today tried out an Idea & it worked great.

Mounted an edge worn 3" roloc into my 2" angle grinder. Turned on my bench grinder & ran the roloc against the spinning of the grinder. (opposing rotations)

The disc was cut down in 10 seconds. Tried a couple more with the same result. no major projectiles & they were balanced as new. I held the disc at a slight angle so the bench grinder cut more of the backside.

Also worked for a scotchbright roloc.

5. tjsr19

tjsr19
    from Lincoln NE

I thought about my post earlier. If it was me I would make a larger version on my idea and stack them all up at once then use a press to cut them faster.

6. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

I've been doing this for 47 years , works great, a no brainer:rolleyes:

7. skunx1964

skunx1964

some of you fellas are really makin a simple thing complicated..... :/

8. Richard Head

Richard Head

I do a similar thing. I run the roloc disc up against the center of 6" 24 grit fiber disc, where it doesn't get used. A couple of seconds later, I either get the size I need or have made an old disc useful.

Dave

9. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I buy 2" and 3" discs. When the edges get worn, I cut them down an inch. I have 1", 2", and 3" backing pads (The 1" is a cut down 2 incher used to get in really tight spots).

I used to rub them up against the bench grinder, both at full speed, and opposite directions. Made for a quick cut down but left the grit close to the edges a bit soft and quicker to wear out because the glue would melt on the edges. But I made a little tool to cut my 3" down to 2" that works better and offers a cleaner edge.

Basically a 2" ID piece of tubing, "sharpended" with a drum wheel sander (ID) and the bench grinder(OD) Much like a hole punch. It slides over another piece of tubing that I capped off and drilled a 5/16" hole in the center to hold the threaded section of the grinding disc on center. I put the male section in the bench vise, and give a tap with a hammer on top of the female cutter, and viola! 2" grinding wheel.

I also save the 1" ones after they are worn, or the 2" & 3" that got ripped from hitting an edge and reuse them by using Liquid Nails and a piece of square sand paper glued to them. After the Liquid Nails has cured, they go through the 2" puncher, and I've got grinding discs that cost pennies to make, and I can put whatever grit sandpaper I want on them. This really cuts down the cost of the "Green Dollars".

10. What happened??

11. 61bone

61bone

I use a bench grinder with a 20 grit stone at least I think it is 20. Been on the old grinder since the 60s Apparently doesn't take anything off the stone. Trims the disc in seconds and does not heat the pad like fine stone does.

12. Ill try that.

13. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

I forgot I was gonna post pics. This is actually 4" to 3", but would work the same 3" to 2".

Attached Files:

14. Thats close to what im talking about, only made to hold a 3" roloc disc and have guides that bring it down around the cutter tube

15. Rags To Richs

Rags To Richs

16. Ditto. No need for a special tool or to waste 1" diameter of disc material. Trim just the edge off as needed.

Someone said "time is money"; you don't even have to take the disc off the grinder this way, too.

17. alchemy

alchemy

Yeah, duh. Have a "just barely" worn disc, cut 1/8th inch. Have a "really" worn disc, cut 3/8th inch. My old tin snips have been used for cutting discs by four different guys in the shop, for the last 30 years.