Register now to get rid of these ads!

3" to 2" sanding disc cutter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ether, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Like most, I've ended up with a big box of used 3" sanding discs from all the projects that have been in and out of the shop. The discs are well worn but mostly on the 1/4 outer edge. Ive thought of making a unit that would trim a used 3" disc to a 2''er. Scissors are no match and take forever. Something on the lines of a wall hanging can crusher type unit that I can place a disc into and it would self center, a pull of a lever and walla, a 2" disc.
    Anyone ever made one or know where I can get one? With the price of these discs and the ever deminishing economy Im trying to save where I can.
    Pics?

2. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Thats a great idea. I buy 2" ones just for the ease of being able to get into tighter areas and don't really use a 3". That a great way to get double the life out of one disc and would definitely cause me to buy 3" ones instead.

3. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I'd think you should be able to sharpen the end of a piece of 2" tubing and just use it like a punch or gasket cutter or take that and use it to model it after a can crusher by fabricating a copy of the mechanism. I'm going out to sharpen a piece of tubing. Great idea you have there. I've been trimming them with tin snips, takes forever.

4. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

I used to work at a die shop and made a cutting die to make the 4" discs into 2" discs. The shop used tons of the four inch and most guys just used the outer edge of them and tossed them out. I got permission to take all the "junk" ones and made lots of my own 2" discs. If i can find some batteries for the cam I'll take a pic.

5. moses

moses

can you use a 2' smaller arbor put it in the air tool spin it use a knife on back side and cut it smaller ive done that it worked for me ..jeffrey

6. rougebeats

rougebeats

Thats an awesome idea,and a money saver too!. Keep me posted if you make one. Im interested to see how it works for you. You may have a good invention on your hands.

7. thebronc4019

thebronc4019
    from New Jersey

When I was a kid I worked in a bodyshop after school. An old time bodyman had a tool to do just what you are talking about. The machine had an arbor that you would put the disk over. It would lay horizontal and then there was a cutting wheel which would fold down over the disk. It had a small crank handle and when you turned the crank the disk would rotate and get cut by the wheel. I think it was adjustable so you could set the diameter to whatever you wanted from about 8 inches down. I have never seen one again but would love to get my hands on one. I try to cut the worn edges off of my disks but can never get them close to being round.

8. I have one of these disc cutters, works great. I'll take a photo later. don't know why they quit making them. probably got bought out by some sand paper mfg.

9. metalinnovations

metalinnovations
    from mass.

I use a ton of 3" and when they get worn on the edge's I just (This is not the safest way) use an old flat head screwdriver and hit the trigger and press it to the edge of the rubber and it cuts it to size. It helps if you hold the sander in a trash barrel of box so the piece does not go flying. As I said not the safest way but the quickest. Thanks, Jon.

10. Cshabang

Cshabang

i cut em too, and it sucks...I'll keep checking back for those promised photos

11. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

12. 5window

5window

13. Nominal

Nominal

I just trim the worn edge off with metal snips, and downsize to smaller backing pads/boards as I go.

14. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Same thing I was thinkin...

15. KenC

KenC

How about something like the hole punch electricians use to cut holes in metal boxes? Use a piece of tubing for the cutter and plate for the die. If you have a lathe it would be fairly easy to make, otherwise a steady hand on the bench grinder might work. Finish off with a hardened bolt to draw them together. Would be kind of slow if you use a wrench/ratchet to pull them together but a little impact would make it go faster.

16. Did ya try the tubing yet? Howed it work?
    The backing of the discs is pratty good stuff and with the sanding material on one side, Im guessing some good tooling steel is in order to make something that will last? Any ideas on the materials?
    ETHER

17. New Old Fart

New Old Fart

I just put my worn 3" disc in my 2" arbor , turn it on and cut it from the back side with my utility knife while its spinning. Got to be a little careful because when it cuts threw the excess usually flies about 20'.

18. budd

budd

i cut mine down with tin snips, i also have a cut down back for my 3M scotch brite disks, its about 1" smaller dia. i also made a mandrel for my die grinder so i can use my old cut off disks when they get to small for my angle grinder, if i was wanting a 2" punch and die setup to make sanding disks smaller i would find a manufacturing shop who had a turret punch press, when the tooling gets to short to be setup in there machines anymore they just get tossed, lots of life left in them.

19. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

I use a lot of the 3" disk at my shop, after the outer edge is worn I take a old pair of tin snips, dont use your good ones, and cut the outside into a octogon, the shape of a stop sign, they cut great. I agree with the others on this thread, anyway I can save a buck and not sacrifice workmanship Im down with it.

20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Put on safety goggles.grab an old file,flip it around to the handle end,& run it in until the worn stuff is gone.
    Regular practice for benchhands in my machine shop.

21. southpark

southpark
    BANNED

wow. you guys are lazy.

the tin snip method proabably takes 15-20 seconds, are you really in that much of a hurry?

22. the greenlee hole punch idea sounds like a good start if ya got one with a bushing to take up the center hole differences

or a couple of jigs made up one to hold a few discs a three side box pocket with a peg on the bottom to center them..
    cut with a a hole saw or a pipe sharpened with a arbor for yer drill press?

cut them grit down

i have seen a few notched around the edges for soft flex too

???????????????

23. Lazy yes!!!! I have around 400 of theses things to trim!!!!! Time is money! Faster is better. With the cost of sanding disks, It wouldnt take much to recoupe what one would cost. Not to mention getting 2 for the price of one, buying 3s and then getting 2s!!

24. Chad s

Chad s

This is easy, but wont work for standard cloth backed rolocs.

I use 3M purple Imperial rolocs. They some on a stiff plastic backing already. I use 3" ones on a 2" backing pad on my die grinder. When the edge gets worn, I trim off a little using the edge of a cheapie promo flat screwdriver, by running the die grinder, and using the edge of the screwdriver to score the back plastic until is separates (and flies across the room).

I probably trim a disc down 4-5 times before I reach the edge of the 2" backing pad.

The Imperial rolocs run about $30 for a box of 15, but I have found that they cut faster, the grit holds up much longer, and the ability to trim them around 5 times (or more if you can trim very thin amounts off) makes them a much better value than the 3M green corps ones. I bet I would use $4-6 work of green corps discs for any given grit to match the amount of like/use I get from a $2 Imperial roloc. Many I have tried to turn onto them are turned off by the price, but those who have found how well and long they work realize that they actually save a fair amount of money.

These are the Imperials:
    http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...E3E02LECFTDQCEK3_nid=RRCDJ63PDQbeGS2QVMPRKLgl

25. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

The last one of these I used, used a tubing cutter wheel for the cutter.
    A pipe cutting wheel would be alittle more heavy duty, and would be widely available through any place that sold plumbing tools.

An abrasive disc will fuck up a good pair of tin/avation snips! Far better off scribing a 2'' o.d. circle and placing the disc abrasive side down over a 2'' piece of pipe's end, much as you would cut a gasket. Upon compleation, inspect the edge of your cut to see that it's safe to use.

Swankey Devils C.C.
    " Spending A Nation Into Generational Debt Is Not An Act Of Compassion! "

26. rodknocker

rodknocker

I was taught by an old school German man named Mr. Zuch, and he always had us cut the discs into stars, that way the edges get into the deeper areas of an indent, it really does work even if they appear to be used up.

27. This is the one I have, works fast. it only goes down to 3 inches but there is room to drill another hole for two inch

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  28. The trimeezer is a different approach and would definately work. But I think a punch type unit would be faster and I think maybe easier to make. Any idea what that thing would cost.

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I just use scissors. I'm sure I've cut hundreds of them over the years and they still cut just fine.

30. metalmike13

metalmike13
    from Glass City

I take an old pair of tin snips cut the disc down to an octagon, and put em back on. The corners will wear off and you are good to go!