Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 3 notch air

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Start one and I'll post with ya! HRP

3W JOHN and ladyhrp like this.
  2. Open that cowl vent and swing that windshield out! HRP

upload_2017-8-22_15-24-31.jpeg

3W JOHN, lothiandon1940 and ladyhrp like this.
  3. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

I love the cowl vent,it is part of what makes the old cars look so good.

4. L forgot about the old roadster,there was plenty of fresh air but the cowl vent gave it the cool factor. HRP

upload_2017-8-22_16-20-26.jpeg

5. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Mine broke off at the bracket close to the body surface. And that was after it was all put back together and painted!! Locked it down and hasnt opened in 30 years. Maybe when I hit the lottery and repaint the car,it can be fixed.

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. I see there is now a screen available for the Deuce,Henry never offered one but it sure would help keep the flying stinging pest out of the car. HRP

[​IMG]

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I was thinking about a screen earlier, wondering how many stories there are about the swarm of mosquito's or random bees that get sucked into the cab while driving.
    I want a screen!

8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been waiting for over a year in drake back order list for a 34 screen. Anybody have an extra?

9. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love the cowl vent on 40's-I use use it often. On a few I got the vent was tacked shut and assembly long gone--made em functional again.

10. Mac's list them for a 34 Ford at a decent price but you know their shipping is high. HRP

ladyhrp and 3W JOHN like this.
  11. us Model A guys have a condition known as: "cowl vent envy"

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. Henry's over site is easily corrected,this is my pal Jim's Model A coupe. HRP

upload_2017-8-23_12-54-57.jpeg

ladyhrp and 3W JOHN like this.
  13. I also love the cowl vent. On a 32 5w, open it up, crank out the windshield, lower the back window, roll down the door glass and its like being in a convertible without baking my bald head.

14. Moselli

Moselli

I love the cowl vent on my '56 Chrysler.

It works great up to about 68 MPH and then the air off the mostly flat windshield pushes it shut.

Aero push. Not just a NASCAR thing...

Moselli

"Is it possible to walk a straight line in a Time Warp?"

15. wonder why so many were sealed shut back then?

16. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

My '40 has AC and it works, but I really prefer the cowl vent and the windwings flipped unless it's just absolutely awful up in the upper 90s.
    As for BGII my "A" Hiboy, I also have cowl vent envy. Danny just as a future reference is that vent you show installed in an "A" from another car or a kit from somebody, details?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I figure because they leak water in, or at least mine on the 47 Lincoln does. A new gasket will probably cure that. Mine was stuck shut by paint when I got the car, one of the first things I did was free it up and oil the mechanism. With no AC yet, it really helps cool the car when you're moving. Mine has a screen from the factory, so no bigger bugs get in.

18. I thought is you can blame the 80's street rod crowd when they were trying to slick up the cars, about the time they started throwing out the windshield frames and using S-10 rubber and sealing of the windshield glass, HRP

TagMan likes this.
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

DSCF0380.JPG DSCF0378.JPG There is just something special to me about the condition of the '39 Ford cab I bought last fall at Hershey. Factory paint on the inside 77 years out in the sun in South Dakota on the outside. Bob

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. Dave,the one in the blue coupe is a aftermarket piece. HRP

21. My 27 has a fuel filler door that I have set up as a cowl vent now the tank has gone. A 30s Ford opening mechanism is difficult to over here and I was going to use one from a Citroen 2CV but they are silly money now. Ended up using an electric fuel filler door opener from a BMW.

Sent from my SM-A520F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

Love the one in the roadster on the 90' 20597526_687496398115844_1551144510839501294_n (800x533).jpg s and up days.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. That sounds cool,got a photo? HRP

24. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

I love the cowl vent on my 38 chevy.ended up using a pair of stainless throttle return springs to keep it shut.

25. I'm on my way to the Circuit de Ramparts in Angouleme to watch the Bugattis racing. Will see if I can find any pictures on my phone. It was easy to do. I just welded a lug to the underneath of the cowl vent flap and connected it to the arm on the fuel flap actuator using two M6 rod end bearings and a length of M6 studding. Used a momentary switch to operate it.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app