Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 3 1/2 inch drop split bones???

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by slickscustoms, Nov 20, 2013.

1. slickscustoms

slickscustoms

on a model A with a 3 1/2 inch drop axle and reversed eye spring, can i still run a UNSPLIT wishbone up front? i plan on running a flathead and 3 speed.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Hope you get an answer as that's my path also.
    But t-5 trans.Bones control caster,gotta be done correct.

3. Anderson

Anderson

Yes.

Search for the Question Mark Coupe. Jason has got an unsplit wishbone with a dropped axle and reversed spring. No problems. Even ran it with the mechanical brakes for a while, hydraulics now.

4. the wishbone mount might be awfully close to the ground if you are running 5.60x15 or something smaller. …particularly if rear is dropped too.

In the '60s, I ran 5.60s, a three inch Mordrop, standard springs, 8.20 rears, and four banger in a Model A and frequently scraped my unsplit wishbone going in and out of driveways.

5. Spooky Two

Spooky Two
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are correct Russ B, as the Model A bell-housing wishbone mount is quite low. Maybe less than 9 inches there, and that's stock height!
    I think slickscustoms that perhaps the size of flathead matters and as to where it's oil pan sits in relation to the wishbone. And starter clearance? Maybe set the engine an inch or so higher in the frame. You will have to devise a yoke ball mount to your trans. mount. For added clearance the wishbones that have the widest yokes are '32-'34, and that they both reach further back than a Model A. The '32 being the longest. But, I think the most sought after is the '33-'34.
    I am much in the same thought process as I to have a 239 cu in. with '39 trans in an A frame and NO K-member. I have split '32 bones though and am thinking of putting the yoke back in. And then NO axle('33-'36) drop, reversed spring, and flattening the cross-member.
    Keep us posted on what you decide.:)
    S2

6. slickscustoms

slickscustoms

im mocking my frame up now so I'll wait till i have my trans and motor in place and then decide how to mount a wishbone. im just not crazy about how the split bones look mounted way below the frame rail.....

7. If its a Model A axle only the Model A bones will fit it as the axle is 2-1/4" at the perch mount, the 32-34 are 2" as are the bones.

8. If you pie-cut the wishbone behind the yoke, you can mount the rear higher and still maintain the proper caster. Easier with split bones; but have seen it done on fabricated un-split bones. Kid made some the other day; '40's axle yokes, "A" rear yoke, and tubes made from '37-'41 rear 'bones.

Don't let that be a major concern, it pretty easy to cut a 2-1/4" axle down to fit '32-'36 bones.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  9. slickscustoms

slickscustoms

thanks for the replies