Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 292 Y-Block pistons size problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Maniut, May 29, 2017.

1. Go 030 over. I've had engines where one cylinder is worn slightly more or has a deep scratch, etc, etc.
    Would suck to buy 020 pistons and not have one bore clean up...

Maniut likes this.
  2. Maniut

Maniut
    from Poland

I just have one more important question- there is two types of camshaft bearings to choose from, grooved camshaft bearing set and cross-drilled camshaft set, what should I choose? what's the difference?

3. Maniut

Maniut
    from Poland

I told my machinist that 0.20" is also available with the same price, he made me sure that .020" will be enough. I forgot to mention it , these machine operators took measurements of my block and inspected it before, this is why I was looking for .020"

4. Maniut

Maniut
    from Poland

5. Tedd

Tedd

If the block will clean up at 0.020" over, then by all means go with 0.020". That means rough boring it now to insure it will cleanup at 0.020" over. Buying the pistons first and then boring after the fact is typically asking for trouble. By going 0.020" over now, this makes the next potential rebuild by someone (or even yourself) else being 0.040" over. Going 0.030" over now can force the next rebuild or bore job being 0.060". The 0.020" overbore gives the potential of one more rebuild to the engine during its lifetime. Ted Eaton.

6. Bore .020" over. Buy a set of .030" pistons. Measure each one because they will all be different use a honing machine to achieve the tailored clearance and finish. You will be surprised they will likely be a variance of .005" in your set.

7. summit racing has Y block pistons all day long. A little over $300 bucks a set, in increments of .020". You should be able to get what you need.

8. Mac VP

Mac VP

Pretty sure we have a set of 020 pistons on the shelf......

9. BigChief

BigChief

Check Mummerts site....or better yet have your machinist call Mummert and or Ted Eaton.

http://ford-y-block.com/assemblyerrors.htm

Y blocks, FE, vintage Ponchos and old hemi motors have a more than a few quirks and many modern machine shops with modern people don't have all the information they need for these older designs to get them dialed in reaaaaallly right. Sound like you may need the grooved bearings. To really fix the y block cam journal limited top end oiling deficiency it's suggested to groove the cam bearing bore like the FE motors have and restrict the oil feed a bit.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app