Register now to get rid of these ads!

292 vs. SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RoadRaider, Nov 22, 2009.

1. RoadRaider

RoadRaider
    from Nashville

Hey, I just sold myold sportster and am loking to get a some more power for my 1951 Chevy Deluxe. I would really like to pick up a 292 or 250 straight 6...but SBC seem to be all over the place. I am not looking to go to the drag strip,just get down the road faster.

1st, does any one have a 292 for sale?

2nd, would a 250 i6 be ok if I cant find a 292?

3rd, would I lose my mortal soul if i put a 350 in my 51?

:D

2. 6inarow

6inarow

yes

yes

yes

6-bangertim likes this.
  3. Oldkrow

Oldkrow

250s and 292s are awesome, and fun motors to build. i seen lots rebuild and running for under $600.00, and lots of aftermarket parts for those.
    Offenhauser has lots of multi carb set ups for those engines, and you can also check out Cifford performance for exhaust, cams and more...hope this helps out.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Just picked up three (3) count 'em, three, 292's yetsreday. Two are from John deere combines.......an often overlooked source of these engines, but they were widely used in that sort of application. Worth checking with farm/construction equipment salvage dealers for a good used or rebuildable core engine.

Inline engines are inherently smooth runners and while the 250 would be an excellent street engine, the 292 has not only more power from displacement, but more torque from the longer stroke.

Would be a good choice, either way............250 or 292.............

Ray

5. RoadRaider

RoadRaider
    from Nashville

So how much will you let one of those 292's go for?:cool:

6. Oldkrow

Oldkrow

correct me if im wrong -AGAIN- but didnt the 292 have the intake that was separated from the exhaust manifold, as opposed to the 250 which the intake was cast as one peice with the exhaust manifold?

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

All the 292's had a seperate intake manifold, like the earlier 230/250 engines. I have heard rumors that the one piece head/manifold is very subject to cracking. If I were going to use a 250, I would find at least the early head, if not the whole earlier engine.

If your question about price of one of those 292's was directed to me.......I will tell you that I am not certain of their condition at this point, except for one I got from a nephew, and his is 'locked up'. He bought a Chev pickup, with the engine in that condition, replaced the engine in it's entirety, and gave me the take-out. So, until I know what any of them are like, I don't want to price, much less sell one of them. In the end, I want enough good pieces to build one for myself. Probably there is enough material for two, I just don't know that at presesnt.

Ray

8. RoadRaider

RoadRaider
    from Nashville

Will they bolt up to my origninal drive or should I be thinking of upgrades?

9. Southfork

Southfork

I'm pretty sure that neither has the same motor mount set up as the 216 that originally came in your Chevy. Over the years i have seen magazine articles on how to swap them in.

10. GaryN

GaryN

11. squirrel

squirrel

probably want to upgrade...the bellhousing on the newer sixes is the same as the V8

12. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

read 6inarows reply, and do as our beloved Squirrel says....he's right, and also go check out inliners.org ................:cool:

13. I had 2 uncles [brothers] that went out and bought new identical 63 chevy pickups..one was a 292 and one was a 283, both with granny 4 speeds. Naturaly they had to take 'em out and race them....the big 6 won out every time.
    I had a great 292 slated to go in a Frito Lay truck when the company changed it's polilcy to use only diesels...my buddy, who did all the maintainence on the fleet, sold me the brand new 292 for a fair price and it went into my little 68 chevy shortbox with an old 55 chevy 3 speed overdrive tranny. Put a clifford header and 4 barrel intake with a Q-jet and a late HEI distributor....dorve that thing for many years with a few trips to Bonneville, California and all over the midwest....was a great road-truck with the overdrive but never got more than 17MPG...

Attached Files:

brEad and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. They made two versions of the integrated head. One with a two bbl carb and dual exhaust manifold. That version was prone to cracking heads. The other has a 1 bbl carb and single exhaust outlet. I have ran them and gotten great fuel milage 24 mpg in a 64 3/4 ton with 390 rear gear ratio. We also have a 66 GMC short bed with a 68 250 powerglide. It has a Offy intake holley carb hedders and a mild cam +040 over bore see pic,s:cool: OldWolf

Attached Files:

15. RoadRaider

RoadRaider
    from Nashville

Ok, So I am sold on the 292 and it sounds like it'll bolt up (with a new bell housing?). Should I just replace the tranny? I love my 3 on the tree, but will the stock tranny take the torque?

16. :cool:Way to go, RoadRaider. Build the 6. It might cost you a little more, but when you raise the hood, you'll draw a crowd every time. You won't regret it. Do it right, and you'll be really pleased. And if you run duals through Smithy's or Porter's, she'll bark and cackle and carry on when jump on 'er and put a big smile on that mug of yours....

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  17. shadetreerodder

shadetreerodder

I think the inline has the cool factor. I would use either one.

18. Twisted6

Twisted6

You can sometimes pick-up after market goodies at any swap meet ,car show,Race track (dirt Or drag) at a fair price. When it comes to piston replacement you can use the SB 307 pistons In the 250.

19. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Had a 292 with 350 turbo in a 48 GMC pu many years ago. Ran down the road with the big dogs all day long.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  20. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

250 or 292. I have both. The heads interchange on 230, 250, 292, except for the ones that has the intake manifold/head all cast in one piece, called 'integrated' head. The combustion chamber on the 230 is about 10cc smaller, but will work on both 250/292. There are as many 250s available with the conventional head as with the integrated head. It's incorrect to assume all late motors had integrated head. '79 through '83, some had integrated, some didn't. You have to look at the head. 250 Blocks will accept either the integrated or conventional head.

Disadvantages of the integrated head. They are expensive to do a valve job, warp so have to be re-faced/milled after being removed, even if only ran a little bit. The Clifford or Offy intakes won't work on the integrated head. The advantage of the 250 with the integrated head is it gets about 15 more horsepower, with no decrease in mpg.

One thing I would do different if doing my custom truck over would be to put in a TH350, will bolt right up.

L6 vs V8? Can't compare them, apples to oranges.
    I love my L6s!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  21. squirrel

squirrel

it's sort of correct to say that, because you won't find an integrated head on a 60s engine

But you still need to look and see what it is....

22. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Just don't want somebody to ignore a '79 through 83 motor because they think all have integrated head. Many of them have conventional head. With those that do have integrated, if you take the integrated head off, the blocks are identical, conventional head will work on all of them.

23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Your old tranny will not be a direct bolt up to a late bellhousing. The Chev passenger cars had a different bolt pattern. Pickups used the same bolt pattern as later ('55 up pass trans) and were torque tube thru '54, but I don't think they are much heavier duty, if any, than the passenger trans. If you go to the effort to get a good 6, or V8 for that matter, you may as well swap out the rear end for open drive and you will exponentially increase your choice of compatible trannies, stick or automatic.

Ray

24. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

I have a friend that has a 1964 Chevy El Camino for sale that has the running and driving SIX banger and three speed trannie with a Clifford intake/four barrel carb for a thousand bucks and you can drive home!

25. belair

belair

I used a Mercruiser (boat) 250 Chevy in my 48 Fleetliner. It came balanced, and I put a 4 bbl. intake and an Edelbrock carb, (probably too big, but it worked), and headers and duals. A th350 and 57 chevy rear finished it off. Ran great, got between 19 and 21 mpg, as best as I could tell. Got the front end wrecked for me last month. I miss driving my buzzin' half a dozen. You won't regret the 6 banger. Have fun. Anyone got 46-48 front sheet metal?

26. teddyp

teddyp

6,s are cool but after having both i,ll take the v-8 just my 2 cents

27. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

The hot ticket for a good driver would be a 250/292 mated to a 200R4 overdrive. Then think about a 3.73:1 or up rear. That would make for a real cool, sound, solid, driver.

28. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

Thanks for the mention! We make 'em to last!

29. miky2001

miky2001
    from houston

T5s from a camora or s10 can work with 292s and 250s also, with the correct bellhousing of course

30. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

which model combines?