Register now to get rid of these ads!

291 hemi in a 51 Mercury

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DjNeil, Feb 12, 2012.

1. George

George

Based on......??????:confused:

2. 73RR

73RR

...you must have read a different article than I did...
    In general, the Getrag is a fine transmission as evidenced by the continued use by the manufacturers.

This title of the thread says "291 Hemi", and the OP is moving forward with his project. If you are a fan of brand-x then the best you can do for the OP is to stop cluttering his thread...

3. 73RR

73RR

The cam description doesn't say much but I'll guess that the H-216 and H-222 are Hydraulic Intake and Exhaust numbers at 050 and the 110 is the centerline. If so, it should be a decent cam for a 300 inch engine.

My concern is the huge overbore. Has the block been sonic checked?

As to the transmission, if you cannot source a 238 then you might consider the NV units or the AX15 5-speed.

4. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Hey sorry to Hijack, if you want to sell that mock up block after you are done, PM me, Id be interested. Thanks!

5. DjNeil

DjNeil

Thanks for the responses.
    The block wasn't sonic tested so fingers crossed.
    I'm trying to come up with the cash to stick a polished four deuce set up from Charlie Price's vintage speed and fire it up on a bench.
    I'm sticking a Fatman IFS on at the same time so will see if there's any room on the pallet for a manual box
    Thanks
    Neil