Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 29 roadster top

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Deuce Man, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Deuce Man

Deuce Man

I called Sid Shavers today looking to order a top for my 29 roadster. Sid doesn't make tops for 28 29's so guys who does? any help will be appreciated Rich

dana barlow likes this.
  2. I made my own top. Welded up a perimeter frame from 3/4" square steel tubing, then added the center bow at the height I wanted. You can determine the shape by tacking things together and laying an old sheet over it to see the shape. After it was all finish welded, I took it to my upolstery guy who covered it with Mercedes Benz cloth. It's padded, and covered inside and out, like a Carson top.

[​IMG]

3. chev34ute

chev34ute

And this is what the frame looks like. I will see if I can get measurements from the owner. C023AA9A-F202-49C2-B67C-111FF92F79BA.jpeg 237C2AA6-AD5D-437D-AB69-E49BD80C31B8.jpeg

dana barlow and ramblin dan like this.
  4. Romanceofcrime

Romanceofcrime

Mike’s Upholstery in Whittier California might be able to help you he’s done a few of these

5. ydopen

ydopen

6. Visited RodTops shop a few years back, talented crew.

7. iafraser39

iafraser39
    from Warmland

I made mine and it folds up.
    Got the local shop to do the upholstery.
    Make sure you put a Zip out rear window, otherwise
    the top will flap at high speed. 20150923 047.JPG 20150923 107.JPG

8. Make your own.

1/2" conduit, rent a conduit bender for a day and make up a frame. Next do the carson style top deal with it, cover it with chicken wire, some batting on top of that and sew up a cover from the material of choice.

dana barlow likes this.
  9. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    Jet96 likes this.
  10. The top won't "flap" if it's made like a Carson top. Though I did have a zip out rear window section made for ventilation in the summer.

dana barlow likes this.
  11. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Follow Dean's near-stock design with the "V" in the upper portion. I had a "custom" one with a curved kinda "Carson" look to it. Going about 70 MPH into an about 70 MPH Santa Ana wind ripped it off along with mangling the bows.

12. Deuce Man

Deuce Man

All great advice guys, my last 32 had a duvalle windshield and a shavers top, I loved it. I am presently building a new chassis for my 46 business coupe and am getting ready to build a 62 ft sportfishing boat for someone, Yes that is what I have done for a living for the past 40 years. My creative side is really up to the full mark, and I just want to buy something. Besides the local top shops around here would probably want twice as much to cover my homemade frame as a Shavers or Rod Tops top would cost. By the way you guys have built some killer tops for your cars, my situation is a little different now. Thanks Rich

13. rusty_bits

rusty_bits

ConvTop 6.jpg ConvTop 6.jpg As others before, made my own.

14. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

If you make your own top bows, get the unions and pivot fittings before you buy conduit...
    they don't make all sizes of the fittings...

15. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

carwithtop.jpg topframe1 (1).jpg topframe3.jpg Make your own. I don't understand using conduit. I know this is a '30 but the same thing could be done with an early Model A roadster as well.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    Algoma56 and badshifter like this.
  16. walter

walter

I used a 31 DELUXE top irons and had Bentwood Bows steam been new bows the width of a 29 body and then chopped the irons to my taste. Folds great and mounts in original mounts.

Dirty Dug likes this.