Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '29 Coupster Across the Country

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by deeppurple52, Aug 14, 2017.

1. I took the coupster out for a ride and came back 5000 miles later. I visited friends along the way drove the back roads of America. What an adventure! She drove great, endured heat in the desert, cold in the mountains,and rain all along the way. This was the second trip of nearly 5000 I have taken in her the past year. Moral? Get out there and go the distance. You will not fully understand your hot rod or yourself until you are put to the test. Many improvements were made after each trip. Things I would have never known had I not let het her rip.
    Also a shout out for the Hot Rod Dirt Drags in Monte Vista, CO. This is great event if you enjoy period rods. The coupster made 12 passes and it was a hoot. The sister event, the Hot Rod Hill climb in Central City, CO, is coming up in mid-Sep. You will not see any feather dusters at these events but you will see lots of bangers, flatheads, in-lines and overheads lined up and racing. Be there! 20170603_092553_1496677383202_resized-1.jpg Screenshot_20170612-070114.png 20170603_092553_1496677383202_resized-1.jpg 20170603_092553_1496677383202_resized-1.jpg

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's really inspiring. I commend you and your car for have the drive and spirit to just, "Go for it!"

cad-lasalle likes this.
  3. see, coupsters can be cool!

F&J likes this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

5. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Cool pictures. Feel free to post some more pics of the coupster.

F&J likes this.
  6. F&J

F&J

Epic advice... Hopefully taken in by others..

Deeppurple52; Not trying to hijack your thread, I'm just hoping to bump the view count to others that may get the point of what you are saying:

I gave my 32 Coupster to my only son just a few months after finishing it. He has already driven far more and far further that I did..or would have.. New blood for a very, very old hobby...
    100_0136.JPG
    ^^^ This pic is one of the first shakedown trips right after the car was finally registered, still mine, but my son was the driver that day!!. That is the huge family dairy farm that my sons friend Tim is part of.

100_0118.JPG
    ^^^ This is the morning that my Son asked to borrow the car to ride up to the Airport Drag Reunion in Central Massachusetts. Tim is partly hidden on the passenger side, he is freakin huge! But there is tons of leg room on that side. We talked a bit about maybe them bringing a few tools, but we all decided that you never will have the right ones, so they took nothing....except the cell/GPS

100_0119.JPG
    ^^^ right after I took that pic, my son says "Dad, you never knew you built a GPS holder!" He opened the hidden defroster vent door which is the stock 40 Ford radio block-off plate that has multiple detent positions to aim the air flow! He is pretty creative I'd say! He found out that the cigar lighter actually does work, so he plugged in the charger/adapter..you can see it under the radio speaker grille.

100_0120.JPG

I walked out front and grabbed this shot as they left... The car had less than 150 miles on it since built from low cost sketchy parts! 2 hours later, sitting on my back steps all relaxed, I "knew" it was his car, not mine. I found an old key chain and fob that says JOE on it from when he was just a little kid, I put the spare door keys on it and handed it to him when they got back home. They were kinda stunned as you can imagine.

They never had a problem, but although the did take back roads going up to Mass, the traffic was bad, so they took the interstate highway coming home, going against what I asked. Tim said they were in the fast lane averaging 80 MPH, and he told my son then, that "this car rides and handles so nice, we could turn around and head to Maine".. :)

Random pics since that day:
    100_0598.JPG
    ^^^ at a local, very awesome cruise, pic taken at quitting time.. My son caught me totally off guard with a hardcore burnout! At that point I knew he finally knows it is NOT Dads car, it is his to drive as he wants!

100_0485.JPG
    My son getting back home from a different cruise some distance way, but the cruise was on a different day! He and Kyle who has the Chevy truck, just went off sightseeing and visiting with Tim at the big farm, Lots of people stop on the hill to see that view from the farm:
    20170726_194043.jpg

Another day, another ride/visit to Tim's Sisters garage he "took over" :) His 34 1.5 ton ford seen in there, is getting a SBC, but he also is picking up the 29 Ford A pickup that also came from the big extended farm family....He is going with a 50s style build! Kyle's Dad runs Terry Transmissions in Ashford, and owns this 33 Ply coupe, Kyle is getting my last old time rod, a Boston Built 30 Chevy RPU chop/channel Olds powered! It is going to the RIGHT person. Kyle has had that C10 since he was 12, ran out of things to do to it, so has been looking for an open bodied old time style rod. >>> 4 Young'uns from 23 to 26 were here last eve, looking at both Olds powered rods parked side by side in one of my buildings... I sent Kyle home with the New England Rod/drag history book to read: "Cool Cars/Square Roll Bars",,,, yes, I told him a Hamber GAVE me that book! I bookmarked a page that shows one of several pics of my Sons very elderly uncles Model A full fender coupe with an early Pontiac...He is listed as a member of the famous Boston area the NOMADS! Kyles new rod was built by another Boston area club called the SPINDLES... all is good. Kyle said he is likely joining here on Hamb!
    20170730_200826.jpg

I will be getting together with the crew to get a running issue fixed on that old International soon. It will be a fun time... The hobby is going strong! here in this area, I have seen a 5X amount of hamb friendly cars this year in my area! I've been here at my present place for 10 years, and I sure noticed that!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    vtwhead and chryslerfan55 like this.