Register now to get rid of these ads!

283 or 327????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blackdog, Mar 12, 2012.

1. slammed

slammed

Fresh? How much? Skittles fer life.

2. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

Yes you are

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

x2, in spades. I consider EVERY used motor to be a core. Yea, I know, I know, I'm an elistist prick, bla, bla bla...:rolleyes: <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

305 heads are old school? I must be medieval!

4. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I love my 327....................Has to be a large journal though

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You must be new here, we have already covered that...:rolleyes: I own a full set of mics too. Hate on that...

6. well if the car weighs less then 2400 pds the 283 should have enough power

got a bore and stroked 283 in a roadster and just put in a OD trans, now to get the carb fixed and test drive it someday
    well as long as it will drive into a indoor that is good enough for this old trophy hoar!!!:D

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'd be willing to bet a 40s era plymouth coupe is heavier than 2400lbs. You can probably add around 800lbs to that figure. With 3.08s, a 283 will be a little soft on the bottom end...

8. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

If you run the 283, put some gears in it. What with all of the modern overdrives available (both standard and automatic), there's no reason you can't have the best of both worlds.

9. sunbeam

sunbeam

One thing to make sure of, is the 283 drilled for a block starter it will have to be for the turbo.

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Bingo. 4.10s and a 200R4. Thats what I am putting in my chevy II with a 327. In a car of that weight with a 283 I would even go to 4.56's.

11. kracker36

kracker36

Just curious as to why you would say that it has to be a large journal. The small journal 327 is a good design.

12. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I gotta "spot" for that chit mang......

A little old 283 will move that big Mopar just fine......just as if it were a '64 Impala....haha.......

13. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

Hell you can get still get a Goodwrench reman 350 for dirt, and it has warrentee.

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Should I send you my paypal address or did you just want to send a money order? :D:D:D

15. NSTLGA 33

NSTLGA 33
    from australia

Aint nuthin wrong with a 283, good mate of mine had a fairly healthy one in a 57 Chevy, left a lot of 351 Fords in its wake.
    Another mate has one in a 35 coupe and its no slug either.

16. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I am a Ford man now but owned many 283 & 327 engines in my early teen years . Both were very good , strong , reliable engines that gave good torque and you could wind them out forever in any gear !
    If those were my only choices I would take the 283 since the block already had the machine work done and will save you some money there .
    Now if money wasn't a problem then I would get the 327 and build a 327/365hp engine out of it . I drove a early Vette with that 327/365hp under the hood and was a real screamer ! Lots of torque and power through all 4 gears !
    In the end it's all up to you . I can honestly say you will be fine with either engine in the end . Just be happy with your choice ! That's all that matters anyway , right ?

Retro Jim

17. Actually it depends on what I am using "my 327" for. For a street motor a large journal is just fine but if I am going racing I prefer a small journal. Less bearing speed means less bearing loading. ;)

I like either engine, has nothing to do with being traditional or not being traditional. It has everything to do with performance, they both perform well in a given situation. Either will move a big old boat if that is required of them and either can be built to take a light car through the traps @ pucker speeds.

I like pucker speeds, my moto has always been if it doesn't scare you any more it is time to build it better.

James,
    you are whistlin' in the wind talking 331 and 6x2 with these other fellas. Just load the big pig up and head in this direction, I'll do the same with my olds pieces amd meet you half way. :D:D

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  18. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Ahh, got a knit picker out there!
    Good point on the 305 heads, but I don't consider that any different than aftermarket intakes,carbs, or using 350 transmissions behind them....:confused:
    Cheers.......

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I was poking a little fun with the 305 comment. The core comment was serious, and it is based on experience. When I was a young guy, we used to buy a lot of used motors that were "rebuilt", better than 80% of them wound up needing serious work, and in the meantime, the guy that bought them had laid out alot more than what he would have paid for a core. Unless all the bills are there, you are CERTAIN they are actually for the motor you are buying, and the work was done by someone that you know does good work, its pretty much a crapshoot. He would have been better off to bite the bullet and just start with a decent core and do it right in the first place.

20. blackdog

blackdog
    from Golden BC

Well me and 6 of my buddies or was that seven? came up with a plan,get both. I will get the 283 giver a good going through and if its all clear do the cam, intake, carb thing and drop it in. I am also going to grab the 327 as I cant pass up on that one and build a real screamer. Sorry Mopar guys, the Plymouth is sitting on a malibu frame already.

21. blackdog

blackdog
    from Golden BC

And ya I fully agree with the core comment. I make my living fixing what others have tried to do.

22. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Hey it's all good man !!
    I was just poking back...
    Your core point is well taken too :)
    The 327 I spoke of was a double hump head one that was supposedly a good builder....tore it down, and it had 23" of cracks in the block.....:eek:
    Cheers.....